Author Topic: WD40 ... over 18?  (Read 17542 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
WD40 ... over 18?
« on: September 09, 2014, 03:33:14 pm »
The Wife was going to WalMart.  So I asked her to pickup a can of WD-40. 
She did self-checkout.  Screen popped up a message saying she needed to get an employee to approve the WD-40 sale as ya needed to be 18 or over to purchase.

WD-40 ... need to be 18 to purchase?
Huh????

She was hoping to be carded, but that didn't happen.   ;D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: WD40 ... over 18?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »
Kinda like having to give a written history of your family to buy cold medicine.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:33:11 pm »
happened to me the other day. anything toxic cant be sold to minors.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »
WD40 is toxic?  :-\ guess I better stop putting it on food.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 05:04:14 pm »
People are "huffing" it. You know, spraying it into a plastic bag, putting said bag over their nose and mouth, inhaling, and getting a high that lasts a lifetime. I remember in the army, the MPs did a search of the barracks for this "video cassette head cleaner" being sold off post. I think it was amyl nitrate. Anyway, dudes were huffing that and that's where I found out people will sniff anything to get high. Supposedly, some soldiers tried to get the fuel out of a TOW missile to huff because they heard it was da bomb. It really was, so the story went. It blew up and killed them.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:16:58 pm »
Although I don't want to eat it, WD-40 is not toxic.  Fish oil base.  No worries if it gets on your hands - - which is what makes this product so useful compared to other water displacers with other base chemicals like spirits or alcohol.   

Little known fact - and I use the word loosely -  WD-40 sprayed on your fishing bait or lures is better than any other scent product and the bass really nail it.  Once told about this a few years back by some old man at a town fair and have kept a can in my tackle box ever since.  Cant say for sure it is the WD-40, but whenever I use it, I never fail to catch a few.  Just a quick spray on your lure, rubber worn or shiner and bobs your uncle.  Just saying . . . .

Russ

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:08 pm »
WD-40 was developed by the defense industry as a water displacer for the balloon tanks on the Atlas ICBM to prevent corrosion. Only later did someone saw, hey, maybe this has other applications. Then they went to the Titan 1 and then Titan 2 ICBMS whose fuel was unstable and sometimes blew up and ejected the warheads outside the silo. I guess WD-40 wouldn't have helped there.

Most stores are doing an over 18 policy on nearly all aerosols, especially if they are petroleum-based, or they think they're petroleum-based. Those are the ones the teens huff.

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:00:02 pm »
lol..........thats kind of funny.  PS buy the smaller can It seems that the large can starts running out of steam 2/3 down and it leaks like a stuck hog. ... >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »
Maybe the WD-40 over here is different, but it's definitely toxic. Smells more like petrol than fish oil. Seems like it's mostly a cocktail of various hydrocarbons.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 08:52:25 pm »
Bear in mind it was developed by the U.S. defense industry for use with a nuclear weapon. They weren't overly concerned with toxicity.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 08:55:58 pm »
I'm sure it was due to the huffing reason.  We get inmates at work from a local jail on a work release program.  I caught one of them this winter huffing electrical contact cleaner.  He was so high he couldn't stand up or talk.  First time I've ever seen somebody so messed up like that. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 09:24:49 pm »
WD-40 contains petroleum distillates.......read the label.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:34:27 pm »
Someone should spread the rumor a person can get high huffing dog crap in a plastic bag. Good way to get the yard work done for you.

Offline BryanR

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 10:34:10 pm »
Guess I'm lucky to have a local hardware store nearby.  Their cash register is an adding machine.  I need some new seals for a shower valve, and that old guy knew exactly which drawer they were in.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 10:41:40 pm »
In the hardware store here, everything that is small and popular is in locked cages. But you have to know what you're looking for because no one will know what or where it is. You have to peer into the cage, see it, and go get someone to get it out for you. If they're around...