Author Topic: Is 339 grains a heavy broad head? Pic added.  (Read 6568 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Is 339 grains a heavy broad head? Pic added.
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:48:20 pm »
I followed a video on you tube and made a " saxton pope" type broad head.  First one came in at 22 grams.

I know we tend to hunt heavier arrows in primitive traditional.  But I'm thinking I need to thin the tube and shorten the blade to drop weight?  Haven't fired it yet.

I'll try to get a photo up tonight.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:46:05 am by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is 339 grains a heavy broad head?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:47 pm »
It is over twice the normal weight of a broadhead. Folks are going for higher FOC for their hunting arrows and a heavy head is the easiest way to achieve this. What is the weight of your arrow with these points? What is your draw weight?  10gpp is the standard for arrow weight  vs draw weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:11:11 pm »
With a *general* broadhead being 125 grains... yes, I'd say you have a heavy one there.

The high FOC guys seem to be mostly in the carbon arrow camp. I think those shafts lend themselves better to that path. Plus, you can get carbon shafts pretty stiff. The spine weight necessary goes up pretty quickly when you start using heavy heads chasing high FOC. It begins to get difficult to find wood shafts in a stiff enough spine. 

Guy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:03:27 am »
For each 25 grs over 125gr you can reduce the effective arrow spine by 5# so you have to figure all of this to get good arrow flight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:45:05 am »
Ya I would say that is a little heavy,but as Pat said depends on the spine of the arrow you plan on shooting, I shoot a 50/55
or 55/60 spine arrow but add a little length over 28 inches and also point weight of 160 to 200 grains to make them a bit weaker to shoot from my 50 lb. bows + - a little.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Is 339 grains a heavy broad head? Pic added
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 08:50:41 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjQB2N5VUkQ
I made this.

Made from skill saw blade and 3/8tube.

I like the dimensions and I think I'm under the weight in the video but I do want a tad less.   I may ream the tube and shorten the tip.  In the future I may try to find tool steel in the same thickness as my saw kerf and thin wall tube.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:04:07 am by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 01:06:03 am »
Or even use banding and aluminum tube?  I want more than 125 grains I think but not enough to equal throwing a hatchet.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:49:08 am »
It is over twice the normal weight of a broadhead. Folks are going for higher FOC for their hunting arrows and a heavy head is the easiest way to achieve this. What is the weight of your arrow with these points? What is your draw weight?  10gpp is the standard for arrow weight  vs draw weight.

In shooting a 56# long bow this year.....I think.  Almost positive.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: Is 339 grains a heavy broad head? Pic added.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 12:11:00 pm »
Check your game regs before using it to hunt. Some states call that a "barbed arrowhead" and make them illegal to hunt with.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 01:15:38 pm »
Check your game regs before using it to hunt. Some states call that a "barbed arrowhead" and make them illegal to hunt with.

yea I know.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:48:30 pm »
Yeah, not trying to be a wise guy. I just found out myself that some game depts. are calling things "barbed" that actually aren't. 
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 03:14:47 pm »
They don't know. I asked the head law enforcement guy for NC if he could tell me what was meant by a barbed head. He thought for a minute then said...it can't look like a fish hook.   I told him good! None of my broadheads looked like fish hooks. Then he said...maybe you should ask the officer that was writing the ticket.  ::)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 04:39:14 pm »
any backward angle greater than 90*. 

Iowa is pretty leinent as far as I can find.  I'm probably not hunting this head but will let try drilling out the tube and chopping the tip back but I don't think that will reduce weight enough.

I'm looking for wide format banding material.  Or tool steell sheet in the same thickness as a hacksaw kerf  ;). I figure if I can chop the weight by a little more than 1/2 by cutting the material in 1/2 by their thickness then shorten its length some.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:48:56 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 06:11:41 pm »
Have you thought of drilling some well placed holes?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 11:14:30 pm »
you wont know till you try shooting it,,,if it works great if not,, well you can re design,,it does seem heavy,, but if someone challenged me to make it shoot,, I think I could,,,
might take an 80# spine arrow to work,, but I bet it can be done,,,