Author Topic: New set for hunting  (Read 3523 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

New set for hunting
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:54:03 pm »
Just got ariund to taking some pics of these.  I got within 15 yards of a dandy bull last night with a good friend, handle sprat1 on here.  He just didn't present a shot.  Great evening just the same.  Would have been my first.  Very cool looking down the shaft on one of these with a bull on the receiving end.  He needed to take five more steps and he would have walked broadside at about 8 yards.  Just never happened.  The heads are obsidian and idaho flint they are 90 grains and the arrows are 575-580grains total.  Fletching is Canada goose with sinew wrap.  Cresting is acrylic.  Pine pitch and Knox for the glues.  Thanks for lookin.  Let me know what you think.

Matt

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:11:18 pm by IdahoMatt »

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: New set for hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:11:20 pm »
I think those are great looking arras....They sure look like they would draw blood.  What kind of shafts are they?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 07:31:55 pm »
Oh I forgot to mention that.  They are wild rose.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:40 pm »
Sweet those are really nice......never had much luck with wild rose shafts.....Kind'a stuck on cane and boo at the moment.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 08:14:13 pm »
Nice looking arrows. All they need is some red on them.  ;)  Better luck o the next bull.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:41:21 pm »
Very nice, they look well made! I hope my first ones turn out half as good as those! The only pic missing is the "Blood Shot" good luck with the bulls! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 09:46:42 pm »
Sweet stixnstones
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »
Sweeeeet!  Really sweet.

Have ya fletched w/ turkey feathers too?  If so, what do ya find the +/-'s to be?
When we lived in Chgo area the C Geese were everywhere in the neighborhood.  So much so that they were truly a royal nuisance.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:26:04 am »
Great looking arrows Matt, I'd wrap the front of those fletches to keep my blood to a minimum
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 01:00:19 pm »
Matt I am always in awe of your work. Beautiful.  Gives me something to shoot for.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 01:10:11 pm »
Thanks Dan.  I used the build along on P. P. a couple of years ago and have had great luck. 
Thanks Pat.  It was neat to have the bow you made with these arrows looking for game in the woods.  Today is the last day of the season.  So the elk will have to wait till next year with a bow.  There is deer to kill however ;)
Thanks Patrick I'm sure yours will be just as nice.  The blood shot is missing  >:(
Thanks stix
Thanks Knoll.  It seems to me in wet weather the goose feathers stay more ridged, while turkey feathers will sag a little.  It has been rainy here so I was glad to have the goose.
Thanks Bub I did wrap the front down.  Then I tied three time up the shaft and glued the feathers down with Knox.  They should make me bleed. :)
Thanks Jeff.  It took a lot of practice to learn to knap.  Patience and determination will prevail ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »
Ya sure did Matt, that's what I get for looking at pics on my phone  :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 05:27:09 pm »
No worries Bub.   ;)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »
Great looking arrows Matt, got elk killing written all over 'em. Hope you get another chance to get back out after that bull.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 01:15:32 am »
Me too, Greg me too.  It will have to wait til muzzle loader season.