Author Topic: juniper tincture for scent control?  (Read 5743 times)

Offline Chad

juniper tincture for scent control?
« on: September 13, 2014, 10:13:29 am »
Before I spray all my hunting clothes with this I though I would get some input on people who were smarter than me. I made a juniper tincture from the berries and needles of our local species here in Southern Illinois. The area I will be hunting is filled with it. I used some everclear and distilled water. Wonder if anyone has tried this for scent cover up. I did hear through a friend that Indians would rub themselves with juniper for scent cover, I took is word for it because he lived in a teepee (true story). Thanks.

On another note I think this would be useful for topical infections like fungus and bug repellent.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: juniper tincture for scent control?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:17:50 am »
It should work fine and not spook the deer but if the wind blows from you to the deer, nothing will cover your scent up. Working with the wind is your best scent control but if the juniper spray gives you more confidence then by all means, use it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chad

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:14:17 am »
sometimes I need to remind myself that they are going to smell me no matter what I do if I'm up wind. But I would bathe in the stuff if it keeps those damn nymph ticks off me.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 11:25:48 am »
for years ive used  the cedar  around where i hunt,just cut off a bit rub all over and even place in floor board of truck to keep odors to a minumum, so i think your spray will work fine
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 04:13:09 pm »
I belive I read that it is supposed to help eliminate body Oder and repel insects ( that's probably the best thing) it pretty common here to use fresh cut branches a round a blind to help cover scent so it probably offeds some help
I like free stuff.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 01:28:03 am »
i hear vanilla covers your scent...and deer are supposed to even like if.....worth a shot...never tried it before
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 03:39:52 pm »
Out here, juniper is used for a lot of things, but mostly as an incense for Ceremonies. But just the tips of the needles. But it's also a medicine, as you observed.

I saw collars made of juniper around the necks of the Kachinas at the last dance I went to up on the Hopi rez. Now, could this mean juniper was worn by hunters to mask scent? Possibly. 
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 08:53:32 am »
Id say no to vanilla if i lived in bear country.......
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Chad

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »
Out here, juniper is used for a lot of things, but mostly as an incense for Ceremonies. But just the tips of the needles. But it's also a medicine, as you observed.

I saw collars made of juniper around the necks of the Kachinas at the last dance I went to up on the Hopi rez. Now, could this mean juniper was worn by hunters to mask scent? Possibly.

Do you know the reason why just the tips for the needles are used for them????

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:08:45 pm »
Probably for ease of use and practicality. During a Ceremony in a Hogan, there is an earthen altar upon which are spread live coals from the fire. The Road Man or Medicine Man keeps the juniper tips in a buckskin bag and reaches in to get a handful he then sprinkles on to those coals. The tips are easier to handle and then he only needs to brush a few off his hand with his fan if any stick to his hand. Also, you're burning pure juniper and not any attached branch material.

If you use juniper as an incense, this works on a smaller scale with a charcoal pellet as well.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Chad

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 09:13:39 pm »
Probably for ease of use and practicality. During a Ceremony in a Hogan, there is an earthen altar upon which are spread live coals from the fire. The Road Man or Medicine Man keeps the juniper tips in a buckskin bag and reaches in to get a handful he then sprinkles on to those coals. The tips are easier to handle and then he only needs to brush a few off his hand with his fan if any stick to his hand. Also, you're burning pure juniper and not any attached branch material.

If you use juniper as an incense, this works on a smaller scale with a charcoal pellet as well.

Very interesting, Thank you.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 01:05:20 pm »
I have a write up I posted on hunting in 2013 titled something "Stagadon" about a huge buck I missed with stone points. 

I used the boiled water method to turn juniper into a cover scent.  Don't make it in the house.  I also snapped some twiggs off by the car and rubbed down with them poking them in my pocket. 

Unfortunately I rubbed the stuff in my beard also.  Took about 15 min for my eyes to stop watering from the fumes.