Author Topic: Target Testing  (Read 1996 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Target Testing
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:20:50 pm »
I wasn't real happy with shooting my stone points into a cushion as it slowed the arrow down too fast, fibers get stuck in mounted area, they're hard to get out if they don't pass through, and the cushion gets tore up pretty quick.  I had heard talk of plastic bag targets so I decided to try it.  All I did was fill a small plastic bag with a bunch of other plastic bags real tight.  I then squeezed all the air out and tied it off.  Then tied it to my climbing rope.  I hung it at about the height of an animal's kill zone.  Having it hang like that takes a lot of the shock from the arrow as you can see in the video.  Once you tear up the plastic bag you can just put all those pieces in another whole bag.  I also like how you can kind of shape the target however you want.  Anyway, I like this method the best so far.  It ain't primitive but since I wasn't brought up primitive I have an excuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_B85ilgrXs&list=PLJkY0dMuhw8MNKoHoMMcUiFVCYhEyWyPb
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Target Testing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:28 pm »
I do the same thing with livestock feed bags.  I have one packed so tight some field point arrows bounce off of it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Story Teller

Re: Target Testing
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:50:05 am »
I've seen a flannel sheet hanging in my friend's garage catch field tips neat as can be without tearing.  He hasn't tried it with broad heads.  Medieval Japanese horsemen would wear a piece of fabric fastened to the back of their armor and it would fill up like a sail when they rode.  It would deflect arrows shot at them while they rode away.  Based on that, a simple fabric backdrop might work just as well on stone points.  It must hang loose from the top corners, not be stretched tight, and not fastened at the bottom.  I don't know if your points would break against the fabric or not.  You would need a soft floor for them to land on, after bouncing out of the sheet, to keep your points from breaking.  A piece of tape or a silhouette inked onto the sheet might work for a target.
Story Teller
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA