Author Topic: Why is my string serving slipping?  (Read 3588 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Why is my string serving slipping?
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:42:31 pm »
Hey guys, I've got a newbie question and I hope I'm posting this in the correct discussion area and here it is; I've started making bowstrings, I think I've made 3 endless strings now and I've made them all for a bow I made for a friend of mine but I'm having problems with the serving slipping, first it was the loops and now this third string its coming undone in the center. What am I doing wrong? Am I not wrapping the serving tight enough? The string material I used was suppose to be already waxed, it feels waxed, do I need to wax it some more? The only thing I can think of with the center serving is that this third string I made I thread the serving material between both sets of seven strands (I made a 14 strand string) before beginning my serving and on the other two I only thread it through one set and just wrapped it over. I also would like to fix the loop problem because the endless strings I've bought don't have the problems I've been having, I actually liked the endless string better because they didn't cost as much money. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Why is my string serving slipping?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 09:11:34 pm »
If your a finger shooter I would say it's not tight enough. You using a jig?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:51:17 pm »
My serving jig too big to use with my string making jig (a 2X2 with some nails in it), I have thought about looking for a smaller serving jig that can go underneath the strings better than the big fat one that I have now. Thanks for replying

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:07:04 am »
Sounds like your serving is to loose.  Either make a smaller jig or a bigger string string jig so you can serve it tighter.  You could also serve the center when the bow is strung.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:45:37 am »
Osage outlaw tells the truth...If I don't serve my string while on the bow it will be loose every time...I do mine by hand now cause I use linen.
                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
Thanks guys, I will pay more attention to how tight I wrap the serving. I think I have an idea of how I could make a serving jig. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:40:26 pm »
Here is my string jig.  I started out making endless loop strings on it.  Now I make flemish twist strings and I use it to stretch the string and do the center serving.  I can adjust it to fit any length string I'll ever need.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=22919.0
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left