Author Topic: Encouraging deer activity and wildlife management for a beginner.  (Read 2485 times)

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
Growing up we never really had deer on my parents property, a combination of lots of activity (3 boys and lots of dogs) ,sitting down in a hollow and being surrounded on all sides by a large creek and a railroad track. Now that we are grown their land has begun to revert back to a more feral state we are starting to see some deer. Last year I saw a young doe drinking out of their pond and found a bunch of tracks going down to their water this weekend. I would like to encourage and increase the deer activity on their acreage, any idea on how to do that? Also anyone know where to pick up a trail camera real cheap? I'd like to set it up right where they come down to drink and see what kind of deer i'm getting.

The red line is where I saw tracks this weekend, the yellow is where I saw the doe last year. The blue is a creek and you can see the pond where they are getting water. It has an island in the middle and the water level usually is down about 8-10 feet from the lip of the pond. On the other side of the creek is steep wooded land before turning into neighborhood. Cornfields to the south and just brush, fields and some woods to the north across the railroad.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Encouraging deer activity and wildlife management for a beginner.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 02:32:19 pm »
Deer require food, water and good cover.  If you have a good food source for them, you already have water so all you need is somewhere where deer will feel safe.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »
I plan on planting some food plots in the spring for them. I'll have to see about encouraging some more places they could get cover and bed down.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:03 pm »
Get a soil test now so you can treat the food plots before spring. Where do you live? Do you have hard winters or mild winters?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:08:42 pm »
plant some persimmon, apple, muscadines. Something that will grow on it's own and save you food Plot money down the road. Small areas of pines or something that grows thick will make them comfortable for Bed Down areas.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 08:46:19 am »
I like soy beans to attract deer.  Deer will eat them from when they first spout to after the plant dies and beans are all that's left.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Shaneisneato

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 02:12:13 pm »
hedgeapple and mullet: We already have a persimmon and a small orchard with apple, pear and peach. Wild grapes grow on parts of the property and blackberries (dunno if deer eat those?). Corn field to the south across the creek.

Pat B: I live in Kentucky, Winters have been nasty the last couple years here.

I think my main issue is going to be a place to bed down.