Author Topic: Where do you shoot?  (Read 7887 times)

Offline Story Teller

Re: Where do you shoot?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 12:33:45 am »
I live in town too, and even though there is a range with a variety of up-hill, down-hill, and other targets, it's a 1/2-hour drive, and a small fee I couldn't afford to pay every day.  Another is an hour away.  There are some indoor ranges, and I can shoot at a foam target safely in one stretch of my backyard.  I feel for you.  I too want more than a foam target in my yard for the kind of practice I need, and I don't always have the time to go to one of the ranges.  Here are two options.

I shoot at a stick or old dog toys in a nearby public field.  I just hammer a pole into the dirt and let arrows go at it or drop a dog toy on the ground.  There is a shallow hill behind the stick when I shoot flat, or I stand atop the rise and shoot down at the stick.  It's helped me a-lot and it's a 5-minute walk.  The neighbors have long since adjusted to my eccentricities.

I have a friend that shoots into his garage from the street.  I've joined him a couple of times.  He just hangs an old flannel sheet up to catch any arrows that miss his target.  Sometimes the target is a whiffle ball or a tennis ball hanging from a string.  It's amazing how well the fabric will catch the arrows without tearing.  It has to hang loose, not be stretched tight.  It still makes me nervous though.  I'm paranoid that someone will botch a shot and an arrow will go into a yard or a window. 

If you could find a safe place to put up a fabric backdrop in your yard that might help you get some extra practice without running too far away.  It's not the same as the woods, though.
Story Teller
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 10:36:31 am »
The neighbors have long since adjusted to my eccentricities.
:o
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 11:23:23 am »
Went out once again today asked three people all said no lol what a sad world we live in where I can't even use nature without out worrying about who owns it lol

I wouldn't let someone I don't know shoot a weapon on my property either. The owner becomes liable for your judgement (good or otherwise) and is at least partially responsible for your actions.

Patrick

Offline RyanR

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 08:33:40 pm »
I guess I didn't know how good I had it. I have woods across the road, a practice treestand in the yard, unlimited public land within 2 miles and I also shoot in my basement. I hope you find something.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:29:49 pm »
I also live in the country and just walk out my door and into the woods. I also hunt at my house. Thank you for making a lot of us realize what we take for granted. It seems like in Iowa there would be plenty of public land to shoot on

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 06:22:14 pm »
You guys definitely got it made wish I had woods to walk straight in
I like osage

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 08:14:29 pm »
Backyard mostly off the same stool I hunt from...Different yardages one arrow at a time, one arrow at a time. Hardly stump shoot, usually hunting when I'm in the woods.
                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;