Author Topic: Kinnikinnick  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Scallorn

Kinnikinnick
« on: September 15, 2014, 02:31:08 pm »
I know red ossier dogwood, and silky dogwood were common ingredients in the mixture. As well as smooth and staghorn sumac. Could roughleaf dogwood be a suitable substitute for red ossier? I have plenty of sumac that I can use but I'm too far south for red ossier or silky dogwood. Plenty of roughleaf though and it looks very similar. My main concern is wether or not roughleaf will be safe. I see no reason why not.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
Re: Kinnikinnick
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 03:03:52 pm »
In my smoking mixture, I use Red Willow (Red Osier Dogwood), Sumac, Uva Ursi, and Tobacco. Try adding some Uva Ursi (aka Bearberry) to your mix. In some places, Uva Ursi is what was known as Kinnikinnick by itself. Some people add shredded Osha Root to their mix and this is good, too. Around here, tons of stuff was and is smoked and it all has a name as this "smoke" or so-and-so's tobacco. Around here, there are various "tobaccos" and "smokes" made from native, regional plants and each has a name and use. Individual plants are "tobaccos" and blends are "smokes", though sometimes a single plant is a "smoke". You can find a lot of them at the flea markets here on the rez. People go out and pick it, bag it up, and sell it. There's a wild tobacco here, Nicotiana Attenuata, that goes by different names. Some say it's Mountain Smoke but others say, no it's not, something else is. Depends who you talk to. But the Nicotiana Attenuata is a wild tobacco that grows here and people use. You can get seeds for these tobaccos from Native Seeds/SEARCH. There's also a book called "Smoke Plants" that tells a bit but take some of it with a grain of salt.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 03:52:26 pm »
Thank you very much for your information. I wish I had bearberry, but unfortunately I live in east texas just north of the pine forests. I dont think it grows this far south. I would think that since roughleaf, red ossier, and silky dogwood are so closely related it should work well. I will continue to look into other local herbs to mix. I'm trying to find a caddo recipe for kinnikinnick since I live in their former territory. Thanks again for your help

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:35:33 pm »
Check your local herb store or natural foods store that carries herbs. Uva Ursi is pretty commonly stocked by herb stores and natural foods stores with an herb section.

A great source of information is the local library. Look for books on regional botany; trees, plants, flowers, etc. Most of those will say things along the lines of "This plant was used by local Indians to add to smoking mixtures" and so on. You can find if those trees you mentioned were smoked and also what was smoked by the Caddo. 
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 04:47:43 pm »
Also, with red osier, it is not the leaves that are smoked but rather the inner bark.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 09:04:17 pm »
Perhaps a trade deal could remedy the situation. lol
Great info. Glad I quit smoking.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:45:33 pm »
Scallorn, the inner bark of rough leaf works like osier. I used to save a lot of it when shaving down arrow shafts.   CC

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:55:55 pm »
Thanks Tipi Stuff. That's what I was looking for. someone who has had experience with it and could tell me if i could smoke it or not. Thanks again, I will collect some soon.