Author Topic: What kind of Hickory is this?  (Read 4412 times)

Offline PatM

Re: What kind of Hickory is this?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 09:49:56 am »
The growth rings are clearly visible. Do a fresh cut and you will get a better idea what you're looking for. The early  and late growth are never woven or interspersed together. They would have to time travel to do that.

Offline edwinfarr

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:11 am »
Tree was knocked down in a storm in February 2014.  It laid on the ground in whole form untill July 2014 where it was cut into a 7' log and then chain sawed length wise in half.  I got it then, split it into staves, and have had it stacked with air between each stave under my deck in an area that has some water when it rains but is otherwise, dry and open-air.

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 10:22:29 am »
If it laid on the ground out in the elements that long chances are good its firewood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:26 am »
My thoughts, Chris. White oak, like other whitewoods don't take long on the ground to be infected by fungi. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline edwinfarr

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 10:42:10 am »
Hello Pat,

So, if it is infected by fungi, it is not good for building a bow?  How can I tell if it is infected with fungi?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 10:50:44 am »
If it laid on the ground as long as it did you can assume fungi has gotten n. To what degree is unknown until you get inside. Sometimes fungi will discolor the wood but not always. You could cut out a piece of the wood, give it a few days to dry and do a bend test. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 11:33:10 am »
Isn't White Oak known for decay resistance? I remember Thimo made a bow out of a White Oak slat that looked like it came from the Mary Rose.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 12:17:34 pm »
The heartwood is more rot resistant than the sapwood but for me it I not worth the effort.

Offline edwinfarr

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »
I seem to remember that it was not laying on the ground but elevated about a foot (it did not fall totally and leaned on another tree or log).

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 01:41:52 pm »
I see rings as well. A but load of em. Looks like it grew slow
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:51 pm »
Isn't White Oak known for decay resistance? I remember Thimo made a bow out of a White Oak slat that looked like it came from the Mary Rose.
It handles moisture well, so much so that old time boat builders would seek out a good white oak with just the right curve to a limb to make the keel beam of wooden boats.  It doesn't like the fungi and organisms in the ground though - it will rot quick as any other white wood.  Fungi give staves all sorts of strange behavior - not the least of which is blowing apart when everything else looks great.  Don't ask me how I know this - it brings back bad memories.
Pat gave the best idea with doing a bend test with a piece of it.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi