Author Topic: Dogbane Harvest Time  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Zuma

Dogbane Harvest Time
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:17:16 pm »
Helena dropped by with a gift for me.
Cool stuff.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Dogbane Harvest Time
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:34:04 pm »
still early for harvest here. Have not even had any frost yet. last year I cut around 4000 stems! If things work out - I may get more this year.

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:29:07 pm »
Well, I'm jealous. Still looking for a stand of it here. Have some leads. A man with a stash o' dogbane just feels like he is prepared ...

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 05:20:45 pm »
Oooh that reminds me I need to keep an eye out for the stuff.  Nice haul!

Ben, how could possibly need more after cutting 4000 stems???  Sounds like enough to make a string a mile long! lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »
Well PT - i use it to trade and to offer to tribal members when they come through the park. We also use it to make dance belts and tump lines. The belt my wife made for me is 6 inches wide made of 1/8 inch dogbane string sewn together with smaller dogbane string and is long enough for me to wear when I had a bigger waist. so a half mile of string anyway! ;D  If you like I can take a pic of the backpack and tump line in the museum. May be a bit beofre I get it posted though.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 10:22:29 pm »
Thanks for your comments guys.
I hope I get to see and learn all I can.
I have know about this hemmpy material for a long time.
I don't have an aptitude for braids, weaves or knots.
I do think this bundle will force me learn a little.
Helena showed me how to wrap and twist it. I already forgot.
I think I am good with splitting it and getting rid of the pith.
I guess it would be ready then for shipping . PM me for a trade.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 10:49:32 am »
Well PT - i use it to trade and to offer to tribal members when they come through the park. We also use it to make dance belts and tump lines. The belt my wife made for me is 6 inches wide made of 1/8 inch dogbane string sewn together with smaller dogbane string and is long enough for me to wear when I had a bigger waist. so a half mile of string anyway! ;D  If you like I can take a pic of the backpack and tump line in the museum. May be a bit beofre I get it posted though.

Yeah! I want a picture of that.  Not for proof but so I can gawk.  I make a lot of cordage and that is a lot of work?  I appreciate others who engage in this craft area.  Post when you can.