Author Topic: Need help with a fix  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Newindian

Need help with a fix
« on: September 21, 2014, 02:07:49 pm »
I lieraly had just finished this bow when I went to string it and the string popped out, realized I needed to deepen the nocks alittle. When I fixed that I strung and drew it no problems. Then I sat down to look it over and found this. The bow is sinew backed
I like free stuff.

Offline Newindian

Re: Need help with a fix
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:08:41 pm »
I like free stuff.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 02:27:21 pm »
usually I am very optimistic bout fixing things,, that looks bad,,, I dry fired a sinew bow with similar results,,, I sinew wrapped the whole break,,, and it worked,, did not fall apart,, but was never the same ,, tiller or performance,,, you could try that as you have nothing to loose at this point,, it is to your advantage that the break did not go to the back,,the sinew wrap should be thick,, we are not going for a beauty contest at this point,, just seeing if you can get it to hold together,, I know alot are going to post that it is toast,, and that may be true,, but it sure wont hurt to see what happens if you wrap it,, assuming you are wearing your safety gear to test it  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:31:21 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:34:31 pm »
A clean crack across the belly is actually irrelevant ! :o
the belly is in compression and the crack just closses, I've had it happen when heat treating some reflex into a bow.
BUT Obviously it's not viable to leave it like that and the longitudinal split is V orrying. IMO your only hope is to rasp out a curved section from the belly and let in a matching piece.
If you look at this blog entry, you will see the crack I fixed.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/wobbly-stave-and-ugly-tiller.html
Subsequent posts show it being flexed with the crack and then the stages of patching it. This wasn't a sinew backed bow. But I think this is your only hope.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 02:47:12 pm »
i like your idea Del,,, do you think  someone might try the patch you are referring to ,, after seeing if the sinew wrap would work,, or do you think trying the wrap might compromise  the method you suggest,,???

Offline Newindian

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 02:56:40 pm »
I just put a wrap on it using as much upper body strength as I have in order to take some pics incase it blows up, it held with no unsettling noise for a full draw, I will post these "death photos" in a few minuets
I like free stuff.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 03:50:31 pm »
i like your idea Del,,, do you think  someone might try the patch you are referring to ,, after seeing if the sinew wrap would work,, or do you think trying the wrap might compromise  the method you suggest,,???
Short answer...
"Don't know".
Long answer...
"D_o_n'_t     K_n_o_w"  ;)
I've not done much with sinew...
Del  ::)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 04:03:59 pm »
I'm taking this as a good sign, but now I have an arrow to fix
I like free stuff.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 04:14:26 pm »
Horn bows  and others have been made with several belly pieces  just butted together. As  Del said, it's all compression force. Your  break  however seems to have a lifting component. I would saturate the break with super glue, wrap with inner tube till cured, then sand lightly and wrap with damp sinew set in either hide glue or Titebond  II. You do need to  keep that break from bridging  upward, as it looks inclined to do.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 04:34:46 pm »
Looks scary to me... Good luck

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 04:41:42 pm »
yes and maybe just shoot that bow on special occasions,,, :)