Author Topic: First Ash Flatbow  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Perkinator

First Ash Flatbow
« on: September 20, 2014, 12:24:02 am »
This is my first bow since reading The Traditional Bowyer's Bible. It is somewhere around my goal of #50 at 26" (although I may have made it a tad weak). It has taken a set in both limbs, more so in the weaker top limb with three knots. Is my tiller good? and is the set due to too much moisture in humid Mississippi, faulty tiller, or something else? Any help or advice would be great. This is my second shooter, but the first took a terrible set (it is basicallly permanantly in braced position), so I would like to make this a little better. Thanks in advance!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: First Ash Flatbow
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 12:28:12 am »

I think we need a picture.... :-[
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:34:00 am »
The bow at low brace height
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:43:37 am by Perkinator »

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:36:44 am »
OOps  I am just learning how to put pictures (first time)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:42:45 am by Perkinator »

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:40:48 am »
On the tillering stick

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:50 am »
This is where the tiller is now. This is pulled to #30.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:03:21 am »
    Perkinator, Your tiller looks fine from here...First off I would ask you if the wood was completely dry when you started? Did you pull past your intended draw weight during tillering? Also a tillering stick or tree can be damaging if you leave it locked in position for a length of time. My guess would be moisture since your bow seems to be tillered well and has plenty of width. Also try to take pictures while you pull it back for a minimum amount of time, then you can stare at the pic all day long if you want and decide where to scrape wood on your next session without leaving the bow screaming for mercy. I now use a rope and pulley system, rope in one hand and camera in the other. Post some pics of the unstrung profile, maybe a deep heat tempering will bring it back in some?
                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 05:11:13 am »
Firstly, you've done well to make a shooter at all, so don't be hard on yourself :laugh:
Look at the bow and see where the set is, that tells you what part of the limb is working too hard (it's usually mid limb or near the grip).
If you want to experiment with this bow try to get the rest of the limb doing more work, this will loose some draw weight, but then strap it up flat or even V slightly reflexed and heat treat the belly. I suggest protecting the back with loads of masking tape or clamping some thin slats to the edge of the bow to help keep the heat on the belly.
The main thing with heat treating is slow... don't just scorch the surface... it should take at least 30 mins per limb maybe more like 45... it's a great way of getting bored ;)
The heat treating will do two jobs , it will take out some of the set and also harden/stiffen up the belly. make your worksop cosy warm and nice smelling too ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 09:15:16 am »
Thats looking good mate- keep at it and good luck :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Perkinator

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 10:43:21 am »
Thanks so much guys! I haven't really pulled it past the intended draw weight, but the humidity in Mississippi is really high most of the time, so it definately could be moisture. I put it in a PVC pipe with warm air flowing over it (a small hair dryer on low taped to the back of the pipe) and put the end with the most set nearest the heat source. When I took it out, I straitened it by hand, and some of the set left, but I think that it will returen if I don't toast the belly. Again thanks so much.