Author Topic: what I've been up to  (Read 6533 times)

Offline Josh B

what I've been up to
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:20:22 pm »
You may or may not have noticed that I haven't been around much the last few months.  The reason for that is that I have been trying to get caught up on firearm projects.  Some are for friends and some are for my family and myself.  I have repaired a half a dozen or so for hunting season, restored a 1949 model Belgian Browning A-5 12 guage for my daughter's first shotgun.  I still need to carve and checker the stock, but I got it reblued, New stock and forearm made and fitted, action tuned and polished and cut a longer forcing cone in the barrel.  Wow! What a shooter that turned out to be.  I have also been working on a 1938 Turkish mauser. It was an 8 mm but i have rebarrelled it an chambered it for .458 SOCOM.  I'm also converting it to accept ar15 magazines instead of the standard box feed system.  I might have to make a few of these.  Here's a few quick pics of my daughter's new / old shotgun.  Josh

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: what I've been up to
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:27:08 pm »
Thats a sweet one right there!.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:28:24 pm »
That A5 is absolutely gorgeous sir, what kind of carving are gonna do to compliment the hand-cut checkering? Might know a guy who'd like to get in on that project, eh 8) Beautiful Doc.
rich

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »
Here's a project I just started for myself.  It's a Romanian AK47 parts kit that I bought years ago.  You can't hardly find em like this anymore and if you do, they are EXPENSIVE!  This one was originally outfitted with the standard laminated wood fixed butt stock.  I've been wanting an underfolder AK since the 90's so I decided that I would make this into one.  The way this works is you buy a parts kit that includes everything except the sheet metal receiver.  The parts kit still has chunks of the torch cut receiver riveted to the parts so you have to carefully remove that and the old rivets.  You then make a new sheet metal receiver and rivet it all back together.  However, the parts kit is an actual select fire/full auto rifle.  You have to make certain changes to render it semi-auto only in order to avoid some serious unpleasantness.  I will explain that in more detail as I continue the build if anyone is interested.  But here are some pics of what I got accomplished in about 3 hours today.  First off, here is the parts kit and the receiver flat.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:40:51 pm »
Here's the folding stock, the receiver flat, my receiver die and the mostly formed and shaped receiver.  At this stage the receiver only needs some fine detail work and heat treating and it will be ready to rivet together.  Thanks for looking and I'll post more as i get it done.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »
Thanks Brian!
Thanks Rich!  I'm just doing some light scroll border for the checkering.  Nothing too serious.  Josh

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 02:49:39 pm »
The A5 is one sweet shotgun.. A true treasure... It'll serve her well..
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:54:40 pm »
Nice work Josh.i have an old model 37 ithica that needs restored if ya ever get time and want to do some trading.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:12:13 pm »
Bigger pictures are better trucker. I can see it clearly now. Nice work on a nice gun my friend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 05:49:59 pm »
Those are some cool projects.  I'll enjoy watching your progress on the AK.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 06:07:41 pm »
Damn, you're good, Josh! That is a sweet A5. I'm watching the AK build, for sure.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 08:15:24 pm »
Thanks fellas!  The A-5 isn't quite finished and my daughter already managed to bag 6 doves with it last night. 
Steve, I wish I could fix up your 37 for you.  Unfortunately I don't have time for it right now.  The only reason I got as much done this month is because I spent the last week at home with double pneumonia.  Remind me next April before the classic and we'll see where I'm at.  Thanks again fellas!  Josh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:10:58 pm »
Hope you got over being sick, Josh.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 10:49:36 pm »
Well I guess that gun doc is not just a purdy name >:D keep the picks coming driver ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 07:19:17 am »
Wondered where you have been,looks like you been busy doing some mighty fine work.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good