Author Topic: what I've been up to  (Read 6640 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: what I've been up to
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:15:24 am »
That shotgun is sweet, Josh. I can't wait to see what you get done with the AK.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline country

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 09:15:50 pm »
Very Nice Josh.... Your a man of many talents  :)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 10:11:58 pm »
Thanks fellas!  I'll try not to drag out the builds too long.  My time at home is pretty limited though. 
Eddie, I'm not firing on all 8 cylinders yet, but I'm getting there.  I cut some hickory and rock elm today and found out that was a little too much exercise right now.  Hopefully I'll be at full strength in the next few days.
thanks again fellas   Josh

Offline JonW

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 09:43:40 pm »
Josh the only thing I like better than bows are guns. I would love to see the Mauser to .458 conversion. That seriously peaks my interest.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:36 pm »
That's awesome doc.
Doing that with cars is easy compared
to a weapon that has to be perfect.
Congrats to your daughter. Don't get better than that.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 09:42:36 pm »
Very cool Sir!  Love the A5.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:12 pm »
Thanks fellas!  When I get back to the builds, I'll be sure to take lots of pics along the way.  Josh

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 06:48:08 am »
My grandpa got a late 40s Belgian A5 just after WWII.  Later, in the late 70s, I grew up hunting with him and he always toted the A5 no matter what we were after.  He hunted everything with that shotgun.  It was his squirrel gun, dove and quail gun, rabbit gun, and his weapon of choice for deer hunting.  Every deer he killed his entire life was with that one gun.  After his passing, a younger cousin ended up with it :'( and now its in pretty rough shape.  The bluing is near gone and the stock is riddled with scuffs and dings.  There was also some pitting on the exterior of the barrel.  Sad, sad.  Now, every time I see an old A5, it takes me back to the days of my youth, hunting with my papaw Otto. Thanks for posting those pics Gun Doc.  It was a good trip down memory lane this morning. ;)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Josh B

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 08:53:16 pm »
Well....I had a few days here and there to finally get back on some projects after a two year hiatus.  I had been tinkering with the .458 mauser when i had time, but that got put on the back burner for awhile.  So I started back in on the AK build.  I kinda got caught up in the process and neglected to take pics of the process like I had planned.  Here is where I'm at with it as of Sunday.  Receiver is formed, drilled, heat treated and everything is riveted together.  It still needs finally sanding, polishing and then I will finish the metal with lauer duracoat. Then make some nice furniture for it.  Here it is all assembled for function/firing testing.  200 rnds and never missed a lick.  It seems to be a little more accurate than your typical AK with consistent  2 MOA groups with surplus ammo.  That's not due to anything I did, I just got lucky with the parts kit.  Thanks for looking!  Josh

Offline country

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2017, 09:03:18 pm »
that is awesome!!!!!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 10:56:53 pm »
That shotgun really looks nice I like the AR also.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 12:49:34 am »
Thanks Mitch!
Thanks Rob!

Offline loon

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 05:53:24 am »
That is awesome!
Wow... a mauser that takes AR15 mags? I've never even heard of such a thing until now. Would definitely want to see it

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 08:06:16 am »
It took a while but looks like you done a fine job on that one, I see why you nick name is Gun Doc. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 10:00:07 am »
Really interesting stuff, Josh!  Double pneumonia, ugh.  That's serious business.  Pneumonia is nothing to take lightly, for sure.
Hope it clears out fast now and things continue to go your way, buddy.
1’—>1’