Author Topic: why copper?  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Chad

why copper?
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:21:41 am »
So I found a stream filled with stone (flint or chirt idk), seemingly pretty good for knapping. I broke of some and got a pretty sharp edge on the rock. I really don't know if it's good but my gf found a half finished arrow head in about 5 mins of being there, so the Indians there must have appreciated it at least a little. So I'm going there later this week to pick some up and try knapping for the first time. Ok enough rambling here's a question of probably a million I have.

Why copper??? Can I make a bopper/billet out of any metal? I saw Zuma's  post about making it from Lowes since I'm on a  tight budget this seems most logical for me because I hear they do wear out. Just so were clear and I'm a serious cheapskate so I'm looking for the cheapest way to get the simplest knapping set together.

Thanks! You guys have been an incredible help with everything!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: why copper?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:31:00 am »
You can make a bopper out of any relatively soft metal: mild steel being the cheapest.  That means you can use the steel rods or a cheap ball peen hammer from the hardware store.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Chad

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:41:49 am »
You can make a bopper out of any relatively soft metal: mild steel being the cheapest.  That means you can use the steel rods or a cheap ball peen hammer from the hardware store.

got a great answer in 5 minutes, primitive archer is such a great resource!
Thanks Jack , much appreciated!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:39:02 pm »
Hammer stones are even cheaper than that, actually they are cheaper than dirt. Nothing better than free if you are that big of a cheapskate.  ;D. But I recommend saving the three dollars and making one out of a copper cap and a wooden stick. Watch some YouTube videos. Like paleomanjim

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »
I use hammerstones for the big stuff but like my copper to work em down. It's soft and heavy and grabs at that moment of impact. Seems to send a softer blow that travels farther. No wonder it's so popular I reckon :).
 Actually think I got lucky one time at work. Was in El Paso at a metal mart to pick up stuff for the job. They just happened to have a rack full of copper rems "remnants" from full length copper rounds they'd sawn. All dust covered and in a corner I almost didn't see them. Anyway, wound up buying one of each at market value for copper, half inch to around two inch and everything in between.. No more than I knap nowadays i'll never have to worry about buying or building another bopper..
  In answer to your question: Good luck with the river rox, I hope they make beautiful points and try all boppers, stone to steel. build your own experience ~ that's half the fun!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:02:13 pm »
Here's an interesting video showing a flintknapper making stone masonry flints and gun flints. He uses all steel tools.  Just wanted to mention this because knapping takes many forms.  It's good to get as many perspectives as possible.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqOZvel4tk

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:04 am »
That video is great. I really like the part when he was working that piece like a core.  He was driving long flakes without any prep.  I wonder if that hammer was steel or could it have been copper? It looks like steel.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 02:56:59 pm »
The hammer was either steel or iron.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Chad

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 08:38:59 pm »
Great stuff thanks guys! The vid was great!

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 11:21:33 pm »
One of the most enduring copper tools you can make is to buy an old blacksmith's "soldering iron." This is usually a wood handle with a 8" or longer rod that connects to a rectangular copper tip of some 4" or so. Basically you cut off the whole handle except for 3" or so of the iron rod and cut off the tip of the copper soldering end and round it off. That makes a solid bopper that will last almost forever. You have to go to "junktique" stores to find them.

That said, the normal copper bopper has a different weight and feel to it and delivers a softer and if you do it right....slower swing allowing for better control of flaking. Some knappers like a solid bopper for the brutal work of making a preform and a lead filled bopper for the finer work. The solid one does the hard work that will wear out your lead filled one. Basically for me, I like the lead filled boppers because of their dampening effect and control. I don't care if I wear some out because a couple of buck copper cap is not a financial concern. If you skip a trip to a fast food restaurant, you just saved enough to make a couple of boppers.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »
I think Dalton hit it right on the head.... copper boppers are easy to make, cheap and work very well. For very little investment you can make various sizes and if you wear one out, pennies to replace the cap. If you live in an area like I live in with no wildlife sporting large antlers, purchasing antler boppers can get expensive in a hurry. I can go down to any hardware store and get all the copper caps I want. ABO is cool, but copper is cheap.