Author Topic: Pros and cons of side nocks?  (Read 6077 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Pros and cons of side nocks?
« on: September 26, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »
Hey all,

Can anyone give me some detailed information on side nocks and their use? Am I right in thinking that when employing side nocks on a warbow, the bowstring should bisect the centre of the bow? I'm thinking of using them on my next bow,though I would like to know the pros and cons beforehand.

DA :)

Offline WillS

Re: Pros and cons of side nocks?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:14:22 pm »
Josh, have you seen Dave's superb tutorial / article on the EWBS page?  You can't get much better than his side-nocks, he's the king of them.  There isn't much more you need to know about them that isn't detailed on his article, so have a look on there.  The string doesn't bisect the center, however.  The groove that goes into the actual wood of the bow tip is only about 1/8" deep - it's no more than a gouge, really. 

Two vital points regarding side-nocks - there must be a lip on the horn nock on the bottom edge, and the string loop mustn't be too large.

If they're done properly, there's basically no difference between sidenocks and full nocks.  They're slightly easier to use when stringing a bow, but other than that you wouldn't notice the difference.  They're historically accurate of course, as we know that the MR bows had sidenocks. 

Read through Dave's article, and have a bash.  I've not got them right yet :(

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 04:19:54 pm »
I'll have a look now, Will. I think I may leave them alone for a while though as I can't afford to mess anything up right now. The bow I am currently making either works or I'm without a longbow for at least a year.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
That article was too technical for my mind....

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 06:28:56 pm »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 09:41:39 pm »
Try this...
http://www.alanesq.com/sidenock.htm
Del

Hi Del! I have a better understanding now. I personally thought that the side nocks where to help reduce arrow paradox. If the top limb is nocked on the left and the bottom on the right, you could then shoot an inch higher than centre on the left and have less arrow whip?

Not sure if I'm going to use them as I have zero experince.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 03:10:29 am »
I think the paradox theory doesn't hold good. If you do the geometry you'd probably find the difference was less than the natural error in the centreline anyway.
I've only done 'em a couple of times. There is less fiddly shaping than a fancy Victorian style, but it takes some fettling to get the string sitting nicely. Nice to have done 'em once just to try it, and it does look good in pale horn.
Del

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 12:00:11 am »
I would like to try them someday, but right now I think I shall stay with the conventional front nocks.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 12:15:36 am »
Excellent thread. :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Davepim

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 11:06:29 am »
Personally I find Side nocks easier to make and when bracing the bow, the string is easier to slide up into the nock than for forward-facing nocks; this is their principal advantage as far as I can make out. By the way, for anyone reading my article, I apologise for the typo regarding how far up the nock to start cutting; this should read 2.2 cm, not 2.2 mm.

David Pim

Offline AndiE

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 01:27:29 pm »
Hi

Very interesting thread!

I always thought the advantage of sidenocks is that there is more horn mass at the front of the nock where most of the stress takes place. And so you could build smaller nocks.

Kind regards
                    Andi

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 02:18:59 pm »
Hi

Very interesting thread!

I always thought the advantage of sidenocks is that there is more horn mass at the front of the nock where most of the stress takes place. And so you could build smaller nocks.

Kind regards
                    Andi
Sounds good to me :)
Del