Author Topic: Smoked ash HLD (No. 52)  (Read 33400 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Smoked ash HLD (F/D pic is added)
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 08:23:25 am »
Baking soda is another household chemical that can be used to get an "aged" look.  Dilute with water and paint on using foam brush.  The baking soda reacts with tannins in the wood.  So the effect depends on wood species . . . maple, not so much . . . cherry, definitely.  Also, tannin levels can vary considerably within a species.  So ya may want to test before committing yourself.  I was committed years ago. 
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 09:17:28 am »
How does baking soda change the appearance?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 09:46:58 am »
Like the ammonia treatment, baking soda reacts with tannins in the wood.  Wood becomes a darker/aged shade. 
Proportion of water & baking soda can be varied to achieve differing effects.  Tablespoon of bs ( :o ) to a cup of water is a starting point.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 01:43:36 pm »
Like the ammonia treatment, baking soda reacts with tannins in the wood.  Wood becomes a darker/aged shade. 
Proportion of water & baking soda can be varied to achieve differing effects.  Tablespoon of bs ( :o ) to a cup of water is a starting point.

Just a tablespoon of b.s.?  Sure doesn't take a lot of b.s. to do the job, why is there so much of it being created???
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

JacksonCash

Re: Smoked oak HLD
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2014, 07:58:51 pm »
Yes Simon I'm a little familiar with the 'fuming' method for wood coloration. Gus Stickley and other craftsmen furniture makers used this method around the turn of the last century and before on their fine furniture. It was also employed for millwork to trim homes at that time. From what I have read tents were built to put the wood, mostly white oak, in with pans of ammonia placed inside to fume the wood. Kind of a hazardous situation to your health so you had to be quite careful. My home is a 1910 arts & crafts bungalow so the wife and I are always on the look out for period furnishing and read quite a bit on all subjects relating to the craftsmen style of architecture.
I've thought about trying that method on bows before but never have so I'm glad you posted it. The bow looks great, hollow wood design with the ammonia finish, doesn't get much better than that my friend.

I just bought a home built in 1910 myself, I wonder if the oak in it has had the same done to it? It looks like it has a surface varnish on it as well. Do you have some pictures of some of the wood work in your house?

Offline Chadwicksbog

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2014, 08:28:05 pm »
Yes ammonia fuming white oak is the traditional stain for quarter sawn craftsman style furniture. It treats the Rays in quarter sawn with the most respect that you can give it!

Offline Chadwicksbog

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 08:32:31 pm »
Well I obviously didn't read all the posts! Hahahaha

Offline Native_life14

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 08:54:36 pm »
I haven't been on this forum long but that is a real work of art, amazing job! You have my vote for Bow the Month!!

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 09:53:47 pm »
Fellows, I am new to this site, but not to primitive archery, I have been using bleach to darken my new osage bows for years, I read about in a article in Primitive Archery magazine years ago, just wipe it on and let it set for a short while, from my experience it doesn't do anything for the elasticty of the wood.
Johnny
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 10:07:29 pm »
That is a beautiful bow.  The grain of ash in the hollow limb design plus the darkening is incredible! 

I have achieved similar darkening effects with a "stain" from vinegar and steel wool. Picked up this simple recipe from aaron.  Can't say I noticed an increase in elasticity, but is sure looks good on ash, osage and also fir arrow shafts. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2014, 11:02:30 pm »
Love that bow. Never seen knocks done in that style inlay.

Offline Deerslayer

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2014, 06:37:34 am »
Hi Simon,
I gotta hand it to you, you're out there stretching the envelope with innovation.
Cheers, Deerslayer.
Akita mani yo (Observe everything that you see)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2014, 08:39:51 am »
Beautiful work simson!  Always like seeing your contributions.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 02:14:16 pm »
Thanks a lot for your comments, interesting things here!

Fellows, I am new to this site, but not to primitive archery, I have been using bleach to darken my new osage bows for years, I read about in a article in Primitive Archery magazine years ago, just wipe it on and let it set for a short while, from my experience it doesn't do anything for the elasticty of the wood.
Johnny

Never worked with bleach, but I'm interested. I give it a try on one of the next ...

That is a beautiful bow.  The grain of ash in the hollow limb design plus the darkening is incredible! 

I have achieved similar darkening effects with a "stain" from vinegar and steel wool. Picked up this simple recipe from aaron.  Can't say I noticed an increase in elasticity, but is sure looks good on ash, osage and also fir arrow shafts. 

Carson, as mentioned before, there is a difference in a positive and a negative dye / stain. A dye, once dryed out is only pigments imbedded in wood cells, you cannot expect any difference inthe wood structure like elasticity. But using ammonia is another thing, this works in the cells, not on the cells. Just try out on a piece of ash. saw it in two pieces, let one piece in the fuming pipe /tube over night, polish both the same way the next day. You will note a big difference, the fumed piece has a really super smooth surface.

Love that bow. Never seen knocks done in that style inlay.

Did that style on numerous bows meanwhile to stiffen out the outer limb with saving mass. Here is my very first, but I like very much (my first post here on PA, too): http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34732.0.html
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 04:31:10 pm »
Simson, terrific finish on that bow. An inspiration.

When I was researching the bending of wood in preparation for doing recurves, I came across an old-school article (not related to bowmaking) that said wood could be softened so as to bend it either through heat (in steam or boiling water) or through soaking in a chemical solution. As an example, it gave ammonia as a suitable medium.

So Simson's observations about fuming the wood overnight making the wood more elastic are quite interesting.
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials