Author Topic: Turkish bow  (Read 8739 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Turkish bow
« on: September 26, 2014, 04:59:32 pm »
Great to see this new section here at PA. Flight shooting is a great part of archery, and especially bowyery. Traditionally flight shooting was considered a bowyers competition, and even though there is much more to it than just making the equipment, it is still a large part of it.

Anyway, I'd like to share some pictures and data on what I have been doing the last years. Horn bows have caught my interest, and I've been focusing on the turkish design. This is my fifth attempt at it, and finally things start to work reasonably well.

The bow is 65 pounds at 26 inches, and is 41 inches long between the nocks along the curves. The plotted draw force curve is an early measuring before a little adjusting and in a little colder weather. Some weeks ago I tested it in the shooting machine, and got the following results from a 26 inch draw:

193 grain arrow: 299 fps
236 grain arrow: 252 fps
323 grain arrow: 216 fps
545 grain arrow: 174 fps

At the annual Norwegian historical championship some weeks ago it managed to shoot 392 meters with 230 grain 25" arrows with parchment fletchings and about one inch overdraw in the siper. 2,7mm thick dacron string. That's my best so far, but only half the distance of what is possible...

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Turkish bow
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 09:42:43 pm »
Uff da!

The last photo where you are shooting over the harvested field looks much like where I grew up in North Dakota....well, without the trees!

She's a beauty, Kviljo. No one can deny that!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:08:06 am »
Great bow, great data, great pics, great to see the F/D curve.
I like the shooting machine too, should give nice consistent data.
Only thing missing ... unbraced pic!
thanks for posting :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:00:25 am »
Excellent.  What type of string are you using?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 09:59:29 am »
Sweet bow.  Love the data too nice detail work.

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:10:21 am »
Thanks guys :)

It's got a dacron endless loop string with linnen wrappings. Not sure about the number of strands, but by the serving it is 2,7mm thick. The nocks of the old turkish flight arrows are often this wide, and so I don't want to cheat too much. I appreciate the extra safety of the dacron though, as I need to make a few more bows like this to not care if I loose one due to string breakage... :)

Unbraced? I could cheat and give you a picture of the fully rested state of the bow, but here's what it looks like just after taking the string off. It creeps back and regains perhaps four or five more inches of reflex, but this is the effective amount of reflex in it while it is shooting.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 01:59:00 pm »
Cheers  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.