Author Topic: Some major changes in South Dakota Archery regs:  (Read 2703 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Some major changes in South Dakota Archery regs:
« on: September 26, 2014, 08:40:28 pm »
Quoted directly from an email I received from the South Dakota Game, Fish, & Parks Department:

"The 2014 South Dakota Archery Deer Season begins Sept. 27 and will run through Jan 15. For more information on this season or to apply online, click here.

Several changes were made to the archery equipment requirements. These changes were made to make archery requirements less restrictive.

The list below shows only the new/changed requirements for the 2014 hunting seasons.

• A bow must have a minimum pull of 50 pounds when hunting an elk with a mechanical broadhead or 40 pounds pull when hunting any other big game animal with a mechanical broadhead.

• A bow must have a minimum pull of 40 pounds when hunting an elk with a fixed blade broadhead or 30 pounds when hunting any other big game animal with a fixed blade broadhead.

• The “length of a bow” measurement has been changed and is now defined as measured from the top of the upper wheel or cam to the bottom of the lower wheel or cam.

• Broadheads no longer have a minimum or maximum width restriction.

• Blunt points may be used when hunting turkeys, small game or as practice arrows.

• Barbed points have been removed from the list of prohibited points.

• Cameras, video cameras and cell phones used exclusively for photographic purposes and lighted sight pins are allowed as bow-mounted devices.

• Lighted nocks are allowed."

For a full list of big game regulations, click here:  http://www.gfp.sd.gov/hunting/big-game/regulations/default.aspx

For one thing, they now allow bows of less than 40 lbs of draw so long as you are not using mechanical broadheads. Not something I am going to run out and take advantage of, but there it is.  Next, no max or min on width of broadhead.  I hope this cannot be challenged when some moron shoots deer with field points.  Barbed points are no longer proscribed, I guess that means I can join that with the reduced minimumbroadhead law and use some very traditional shaped trade point designs. 

Go check your states regulations and see if there are any changes. Better to read up on 'em now then when the guy with the badge whips out the pen and his pad!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.