Author Topic: Draw knife alternative?  (Read 10488 times)

Offline jasonoflivingston

Re: Draw knife alternative?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 08:42:25 pm »
My machete seems to work kind of ok. It does suck starting all over again and having to start with the basic tools.

A machete is what I used the last time I needed to remove bark.  I started by using it like a drawknife, but once I got a section of bark off, I switched to using the handle and sliding the blade along the surface of the wood to gain momentum and let the blade work through the bark.  Sliding works much better than hacking.  That being said, a proper drawknife or a hatchet with one flat side would be my preference. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 08:49:28 pm »
You can use a hatchet for almost anything you need to do to make a bow. I use it more then my band saw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:37 pm »
Last few of my bows has been nothing but my K-Bar start to finish. But for debark a broken bottle will work. I have also used the back side of a hack saw blade. Never used yew before but had an elm bow lift a splinter when bark popped off. It pulled wood up with it. be careful doing that, putting a bow under stress with bark on.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DavidV

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 02:04:59 am »
I have one of these, crappy steel but it works okay until you can afford a good one.
http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/tools-hardware/hand-tools/cutting-tools/8-draw-shaver/p-1465879-c-9123.htm
Springfield, MO