Author Topic: what goes around, comes around  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: what goes around, comes around
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 06:44:38 pm »
Great story Josh, I also like Jeb have never seen are tasted a Persimmon, Just to dang far north. Bob

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 02:26:07 pm »
Yep Josh, Words to live by...   ;)
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 07:39:55 pm »
Thanks fellas!
Bob..if persimmons kept better I'd send you some to try.  Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois are loaded with em.  I've never seen so many.  Unfortunately they don't keep well at all.
Zuma.. I don't if there's a correct way to eat persimmon, but generally I eat them one of two ways.  The first is to pick them up when they first drop and they're a nice uniform orange color.  The flesh is soft but still holds it's shape.  I gently remove the skin and discard it.  Then I bite a bit off seeds and all, work the seeds out of the flesh with my tongue and spit out the seeds.  Carefully avoid peeling the membrane that encapsulates the seed with your teeth.  That membrane is nasty!
The other way is to let the persimmon age a day or two until the flesh turns to jelly.  I then tear a hole in the skin, squish the insides out of the skin and onto my toast, waffle or whatever.  Then spread the flesh around with my knife while gently working the seeds out.  Remember to leave the membrane with the seeds when you discard them.  That's how I munch em anyway.  As far as the frost goes, that's only in the northern most part of it's range where the growing season is shorter.  Josh