Author Topic: Billet orientation  (Read 2228 times)

Offline DC

Billet orientation
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:30 pm »
When I'm making a bow with billets does it matter which way they join? Can the top of the tree/billet be part of the handle? Jeez, I wrote this and I can hardly understand what I mean. I hope you get my drift.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Billet orientation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:13:25 pm »
Sure, you can do that.  But whatever you do, do NOT join both ends of the same billet together.  Unless you are really good at circular tiller. Then feel free.

Heck, I wrote this answer and don't even know what it means either.

Honestly, I have looked at some staves I have and in most cases I can argue for either end being the one from the base of the tree.  I honestly don't believe it would matter, but some in here will take it as an article of faith that you must always orient the stave with the earth or magnetic poles, or geopolitical fundamentals. And everyone knows that the reason you hold your bow in your left hand is so that the bow leans to the political right.

Stopping here.  Prolly facing censure from a Moderator in the near future as it is!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »
Honestly, I have looked at some staves I have and in most cases I can argue for either end being the one from the base of the tree.

Are you saying you don't know which end is up ;) ;) ;)
Thanks JW. After I posted the question it occurred to me that it would be almost impossible to tell one end from the other on a larger billet and I didn't think people kept track of that stuff.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
As long as I know my butt from a teakettle, I am good.  Who cares which end is up, tiller like it's 1999!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:35:54 pm »
Splicing the same end of the tree lets you have the same type of wood working in the same section of both of the limbs.
 That's a bonus when using billets.
The wood properties change subtly farther up the trunk.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 09:54:32 am »
What Pat said; To add to that, I look at the end grain of the billets and put the best looking ratio of early wood/late wood on the tips instead of in the handle. Probably doesn't make any difference but I do it anyway.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:53 pm »
I was making a bow in front of the gallery one day, , a by stander came up to me and told me that if i did not make the bow with the bottom limb  orientated as in the tree it would not be a "Traditional Bow" hmmm .... well I had a few informative comments for him,,  he left and did not want to talk any more  :) :) :)  sometimes I know which way is up,, but not every day,,, :)

Offline Roy

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 07:44:55 am »
I do the same as Eric..

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:51:38 am »
  But whatever you do, do NOT join both ends of the same billet together
Why not?
Thats my usual way to handle a wide, bandy billet.
I just split it and add so i get a bow looking like a S.
I never had any problems with that :)
Regards
Benedikt
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?