Author Topic: Bamboo backed erc?  (Read 2467 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Bamboo backed erc?
« on: September 29, 2014, 01:41:18 pm »
I'm looking for people's thoughts on a Bamboo backed eastern red cedar bow.  Any reasons why it will or will not work?  Alternately, what other woods have you guys successfully backed with bamboo?  What about cherry?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bamboo backed erc?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:52:06 pm »
Never tried it myself, but I would. You'll probably hear that boo over powers the ERC. Which I suppose could happen if you allowed it to. There are plenty of ways around it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:16:24 pm »
Simon made one of the most beautiful Boo backed ERC I have ever seen and he posted it just recently scroll back a few pages I am sure you will find it.  He trapped the back some I do believe.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 02:54:11 pm »
My Grandsons Dad has been shooting one for close to 8 years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:45:14 pm »
Isn't juniper the most compression strong wood out there. If yes wouldn't that mean that boo would overpower all species
I like free stuff.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 06:34:29 pm »
Ken made a bamboo backed juniper (boo-niper) over on PaleoPlanet. ERC is basically a juniper, so you can treat it as such. A bamboo backing can work just fine, but trapping it is a smart thing to do. Keeping the belly flat also helps.
Newindian, juniper is not the most compression strong wood there is. Its compression strength in numbers is nothing spectacular, actually. It's the very high elasticity of the wood that makes it so superior to many other woods. Since sinew is also highly elastic, that is why sinew backed juniper is such a great combination. Two highly elastic materials working in sync.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline DavidV

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:53:16 am »
Isn't juniper the most compression strong wood out there. If yes wouldn't that mean that boo would overpower all species

I think it's more about the ratio of compression and tension. It's got fairly low compression, really low tension and a lot of elasticity. Thin bamboo and trapped back can help to stop from overpowering the belly.
Springfield, MO