Author Topic: Overdraw  (Read 5877 times)

Offline DC

Overdraw
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:22:22 pm »
Can someone explain overdraw a bit? I see a devise in Kviijo's video. Is that for overdraw? Is it attached to the bow or his glove? I remember seeing a video a while back and the archer had some kind of sliding devise, any info on that?
Thanks
Don

Offline Badger

Re: Overdraw
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 01:50:33 pm »
    An overdraw allows the archer to use a shorter arrow. A shorter arrow has the advantage of being dynamically stiffer and lighter in weight thus faster and will travel further. Overdraws can be attached to the bow or attached to the hand as in a siffor ( spelling?)  A shorter arrow can be made to a much smaller diameter which reduces drag. Regular modern flight arrows are only about 14" long.

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 03:09:06 pm »
The overdraw I used in the video is a Turkish traditional version, called "siper". It is attached to the wrist, and it allows about 3 inches overdraw. The tip should only be drawn halfway back into it. There is a danger in using it, of course. If the arrow were to hit the belly of the bow, it would for sure splinter, with sharp wood pieces flying around in front of the face. It should be used with care :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 03:16:24 pm »
Many flight bows simply had a shelf extending towards the handle side of the bow for a few inches. Usually just a metal trough screwed into the side of the riser.
 You can see a typical one in the pics on this thread.
 http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/30411/Impressive-1930s-flight-bow
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:25:21 pm by PatM »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03:12 pm »
Well the newby thinks that  sounds like a cross bow held sideways. I better watch the video.  :-[
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!