Author Topic: Practice with hunting arrows?  (Read 3484 times)

Offline DuBois

Practice with hunting arrows?
« on: October 06, 2014, 02:04:23 pm »
I got 3 hunting arrows in trade and I want to practice with what I will use for the real deal but I shot one and it lost it's head and foreshaft in the bail.

Is there a trick to what is best to shoot hunting arrows into or tips to care for them after practice and prior to hunting?

I am new to this and pretty ignorant yet.

Thanks, Marco.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Practice with hunting arrows?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »
Steel or stone tips?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 04:19:05 pm »
This is what I do and it works.  I just go out and take a shot.  A little while later I go back out and take another shot.  It's just a bunch of plastic bags stuffed in a plastic bag.  When one gets tore up I just throw them in another bag.  It's easy to miss but you don't shoot unless you're completely confident on the shot just like with hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_B85ilgrXs&list=UU9l4lrfkOEV5iNSju5GxM_g
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:17:44 pm »
Marco
I will try to help. but shoot into something that you can push the arrow through. that barb will not come out the way in went in. call when you can.
tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:32:14 pm »
Make sure barbed heads are legal in Minnysoda Doobs. Most nordern states don't allow dem eh!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 06:55:26 pm »
Make sure barbed heads are legal in Minnysoda Doobs. Most nordern states don't allow dem eh!

You know what I just did check, And he can not use them. I should have checked for him. Marco I will send you 3 points that are not barbed. I will sharpen them in the morning.
Tommy
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:36:55 pm »
Thanks PD. I didn't think of that.

Awesome idea Tim. Will do it for sure.

Hey Tommy, thanks for helping me out. I owe you one. I am sure it was my bad for shooting into the wrong type target. Newbies... man I tell ya  ::)
It did hit a death shot if it was for real though  >:D

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 11:04:08 am »
I shoot at 2" thick foam with my huntin points, one arrow at a time and pull and push em thru the exit
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:37:45 pm »
Forgive me for being dumb but why can't you just use a practice point of the same weight and then put the broadhead on for hunting? Is the that much aerodynamic difference, or is it something else?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:02 am »
I will not hunt with an arrow unless I know it flies perfectly. A broadhead can fly different from a field point.
 I have a rubberized foam block I shoot stone, trades and commercial points for testing. A pile of sand will work too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 11:35:57 am »
I tune each one and they are rarely oriented the same, very rarely. I had one last week that flew like a one winged duck, I roated the broad head 30 degrees and it was dandy. Keep in mind we are using natural materials, they cant all react exactly the same, even if the spine is the same.