Author Topic: catlinite pipe (SHE'S DONE!!!)  (Read 21473 times)

Offline swamp monkey

Re: catlinite pipe project (bowl now finished)
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 08:09:31 pm »
Josh, loving it. I really like the hand tool approach.  It is indeed more work but it adds some appreciation to the final product.  You always make such nice stuff. 

Aj

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 12:19:31 am »
Now that's a beautiful piece! That beeswax really makes it pop! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline longbow man

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 10:32:21 am »
      Very nicely done. A long time ago I bought a piece of catlinite from a man at the Friendship shoot and he explained the origin the same as you. His was made small so he could wear it around his neck and had the stem in his pocket. Mine is like a small church warden pipe also worn around the neck. Quit smoking years ago but I still love old neat looking pipes. You brought back some cool memories.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 02:25:56 pm »
Thanks fellas!  I really appreciate it!  I thought that I was going to have to wait another week to finish this project since the only piece of ERC I had wasn't big enough.  Then I remembered another project using ERC had some scraps leftover.  I dug around and sure enough I had a piece!  Sometimes I amaze myself with all the stuff I have squirrelled away in my truck.  So here we go!  There isn't much heartwood to this piece, so the stem will inevitably have some sapwood  in it.  That's ok though.  A little contrast makes it pop anyway.  So we will proceed as if the sapwood inclusion was intentional.  Shhhhhh!   Our little secret.  With a little luck, I should be able to finish this up today.  Here's what I'm starting with.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 03:38:35 pm »
Yep, it has some sapwood in it.  I think it'll look nice with the finish on it.  All I have left is to carve some lines to match the bowl and put some finish on it.  The shop lights bleached out all the color, but here is the stem so far.  The finish will bring out the colors nicely.  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 05:48:46 pm »
Well....she's same as done!  A couple more coats of finish and some time to cure and she'll be ready to ship out.  Thanks for following along!   Josh

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: catlinite pipe (SHE'S DONE!!!)
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 06:20:26 pm »
Brother that is nice!.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 06:24:02 pm »
Wow, wow, wow! Josh that is sweet! Wish I had me something like that! You have an amazing talent bud. I'm sure the fella getting it will be proud to own it!  Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 07:25:16 pm »
Fantastic work Josh!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 07:50:25 pm »
gun doc
bow doc
atlatl doc
and now you are the pipe doc.

hat off to ya sir.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 08:11:38 pm »
gun doc
bow doc
atlatl doc
and now you are the pipe doc.

hat off to ya sir.

Lol!  Don't forget I'm occasionally the doc doc after the far to frequent whoopses I have!  Here's my skull after a flying chunk of stainless steel whacked me.  The next pic is my fancy needle work that was required because the blood kept running into my eyes so I couldn't see to drive to the hospital.  Once I sewed it up, I decided I didn't need to go to the hospital!  Lol!
Thanks for the kind words fellas!  Josh

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 08:58:40 pm »
I can't wait to comment anymore!  :) The pipe is absolutely perfect!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!! And I can't wait to smoke it!!! The bowl is gorgeous, the stem came out just as brilliant!! Outstanding work!! You, sir, are a true and excellent craftsman!!
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline country

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 11:53:08 pm »
Very nice Josh  :) you do great stuff !!!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 02:11:26 am »
Thanks Mitch!
I'm glad you like it Kevan!  The pics really don't do it justice. Especially the coloring in the stem.  Josh

Offline Parnell

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 01:51:55 pm »
Really nice work Josh!  That's something I've wanted to take on for some time.  Very inspiring, Bro.
1’—>1’