Author Topic: catlinite pipe (SHE'S DONE!!!)  (Read 21266 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: catlinite pipe (SHE'S DONE!!!)
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 02:36:11 pm »
Let's see a photo of the hand drill you used!  Did you use the same thing for the cedar stem?
1’—>1’

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:07 pm »
Fine craftsmanship! That's an heirloom.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2014, 05:01:45 pm »
The pipe looks great, the forehead looks painful. Nicely done on both accounts.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2014, 12:09:52 am »

Great job!  Turned out very nice.  Now for that head injury, you need to season that pipe with some uh..... herbs, yeah, herbs, Mexican parsley, etc.  ;) Then you can know for sure how it smokes..... and the head injury will stop hurting, and you can get something to eat, like thirty five whoppers..... ::) :P

Wayne

Offline Josh B

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2014, 02:05:51 am »
Thanks fellas!  The head injury was from a few years back.  I just through that on there to go with the doc theme AJ had going. ::)  It's all healed up now with only a small scar and no permanent damage....well....unless you consider everytime I hit a big pothole in the road I crap my pants, forget my name for a day and think I'm driving Santa's sleigh, as permanent damage.  Other than that...I'm perfect!  :o :P
Steve no hand drill on this one.  All cordless with modern bits.  The next one won't be so hurried so I'll do it the right way and take plenty of pics.
Wayne...considering the cavernous size bowl on this one, I don't believe it would be ideal for Mexican parsley even if I were so inclined!   Lol! 
Thanks again fellas!  Josh

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 04:59:17 pm »
Love it trucker. I think of a few uses for that bugger!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 10:31:22 am »
Lol! Thanks Pearly!  Josh

Offline Josh B

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 10:27:11 am »
I made a carrying case for this one.  You'll have to excuse my poor leather working skills that can best be described as crude but functional.  I had a scrap of oil tanned bull hide in the truck, so that's what I used. The case holds the stem and bowl in loops that i sewed into the inside.  There is also a small area below the bowl loop that would accommodate a small tobacco pouch.  I had intended to make the pouch as well, but I didn't have any suitable leather in the truck with me.  Dharma should get this today.  I hope he enjoys it for many years to come.  Thanks for following along.  Josh

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 11:10:40 am »
Nice Josh! I think you're leather work is just fine. If it does the job then that's what counts. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 11:31:51 am »
Thanks Patrick!  Hopefully it arrived in one piece and Dharma has already had a chance to fire it up. Josh

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 09:22:45 am »
Just saw this, Josh. That's a fine piece of work, my friend. Oh, and about that knock on the noggin, maybe you shoulda been a people doc!! ::)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Josh B

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 10:23:16 am »
Lol!  Thanks Ken!  Josh

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2014, 09:52:17 am »
Great work!

I love the simple elbow style personal pipes.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2014, 02:42:02 pm »
Gun Doc kinda sold himself short talking about "poor leatherworking skills" on the pouch. In fact, the pouch is excellent and of very fine leather craftsmanship. The pipe is beyond belief. Excellent and very beautiful.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...