Author Topic: 2 fletch question  (Read 6917 times)

Offline 21st century archer

2 fletch question
« on: October 05, 2014, 12:46:08 am »

Has anyone used this style of fletch before? Not an eastern woodland 2 fletch but a 2 fletch using 2 split feathers. Can the feathers be laid out straight or do they have to have some degree of twist to fly correctly?

Offline Scottski

Re: 2 fletch question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 03:50:00 am »
I have only made one this way. Put fletchings on straight and it flew just fine. Hit my target where I was aiming. Hope this helps you out.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 09:41:54 am »
Like these....

Most are 2 fletch. One or 2 are 3 fletch.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »
What a great view you got there Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 02:41:37 pm »
Thanks Aaron. Surrounded by woods and no other houses visible...and we've been here 24 years.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:11:04 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 09:35:51 pm »
I have gone to 2-fletch for all my target arrows.  I put a little helical spin on the feathers to help make up for not having the 3rd feather.  If you do go to 2-fletch, you will probably want to use a slightly bigger feather than a standard die cut.  You need some square inches of feather to get the arrow to rotate quickly.  I adhere the feathers with 2-sided fletching tape and then wrap them at the front and back.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 12:16:12 am »
The feathers on these arrows were attached the same way, Buck67, and I use a feather burner so I can adjust the fletch height as needed. I prefer taller fletching on most of my arrows anyway.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:26:09 am »
I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the 2-fletch arrows work.  At first it was a "make a few just see how bad they were" kind of thing.  Then I noticed how much easier it was not having to mess about with making sure that the cock feather was right side up.  Then I noticed that the 2-fletch were just as accurate as the 3-fletch.  Many of the arrows shown in Jim Hamm's Encyclopedia of Native American Bow, Arrows and Quivers are 2-fletch.  That says that people that depended on the arrow for food and defense felt the same way.

There are a lot of good reasons to use 2-fletch.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:44:56 am »
The last year or so I've been experimenting with some of the fletching styles in  Jim Hamm's book, including a straight 2 fletch.  Sometimes they are dead on accurate, then out of the blue, way off target. And also a little disturbing is the lack of rotation--kind of like trying to hit a knuckleball. I'm sure both problems can be alleviated by adding just a little helical spin.
The ease and speed in making 2 fletch is nice though.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.