Author Topic: Blacksmith's *Heimdallr* 78" Yew Warbow 129#@32"  (Read 14445 times)

Offline HoorayHorace

Re: Blacksmith's *Heimdallr* 78" Yew Warbow 129#@32"
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 01:56:26 pm »
Can yew outshoot a laminate for speed and distance?
A yew longbow vs an ipe/bamboo longbow would be an interesting match, though they are from different periods.

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 12:59:42 am »
Going by the EWBS records for flight with each type the laminated bow seems to have the edge.

ceolith

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 08:33:18 am »
But only in the flight-arrow class. The regular arrows like the standart, tudor livery or 1/4pounder are in hand  of the historical maryrose class (only selfyew)
with a good combination you can imitate a good yew bow. but in fakt the yew has all what he need to be a bow.  :)
the name 'taxus' come from the greek 'toxon', what simply mean: BOW.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:37:47 am by Blacksmith77K »

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 09:29:36 am »
In the non-historical class do many people shoot Ipe/Boo?
 Still seeing a lot of USA yew in those records despite the superiority of Baccata.  ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 10:27:58 am »
Bamboo is only allowed in the flight arrow class. It is not allowed in the non-historic class of EWBS, CWBS, etc.

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2014, 10:49:29 am »
  Well nothing will get proved that way. At least unofficially the tests could be done.

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 01:18:34 pm »
I believe the thinking was bamboo was just too far from anything reasonably historic. I know laminated bows are nothing close to being historic either, but I think the warbow societies are looking to avoid people showing up to events with horse bows, or reflexed or recurved bows, or anything that doesn't closely "look the part" of a warbow. There are also minimum draw weights and OAL for bows, and no horn or sinew is allowed.
I know a maple or hickory backed yew warbow is difficult to distinguish from a yew selfbow, until you have a closer look. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, and they've done it with bamboo.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:50:53 pm by adb »

Offline HoorayHorace

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2014, 06:44:12 pm »
A good laminate can out shoot a good yew bow...of the same draw weight?

I read somewhere that a triple laminate bow can shoot a medieval spec arrow further than a good self yew bow.

I know laminates are not historic, but would be interesting to know whether the best laminate could out preform the best yew.

Is ipe/bamboo not the best of laminates?

Offline WillS

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2014, 08:04:51 pm »
I believe the thinking was bamboo was just too far from anything reasonably historic. I know laminated bows are nothing close to being historic either, but I think the warbow societies are looking to avoid people showing up to events with horse bows, or reflexed or recurved bows, or anything that doesn't closely "look the part" of a warbow. There are also minimum draw weights and OAL for bows, and no horn or sinew is allowed.
I know a maple or hickory backed yew warbow is difficult to distinguish from a yew selfbow, until you have a closer look. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere, and they've done it with bamboo.

As a point of interest, people are encouraged within the ewbs to turn up with anything at all.  At most shoots there are guys with recurves, horse bows and so on.  They're all allowed to shoot at the roves and stuff, but only specific bows are permitted at the actual flight shoots, as those are purely focused on "experimental archaeology" in seeing what historical bows were actually capable of.  It's quite a nice change from the rest of the UKs stupidly strict governing bodies where if you turn up with a longbow without horn nocks you're disqualified from any event!

The non-historical category at the moment is mainly laminates and spliced warbows.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2014, 09:54:18 pm »
ok, putting this thread back on track.....

Blacksmith, I have a serious disagreement with you on a critical point.  You are in error when you claim this bow is to spoil yourself.  That is horribly incorrect.  This bow is necessary!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HoorayHorace

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 08:23:49 am »
I quite like horse bows, especially the Mongol design. At my club you can shoot whatever you wish  :)

They used a lot of horse bows for the making of Game Of Thrones.

Would be interesting to see a heavy weight horse ow bof about 100lb shooting a medieval style arrow...just to see how far it goes.

Offline WillS

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 11:25:35 am »
There's a vid online somewhere of Joe shooting a 177# Turkish horse bow.  Not sure how far it went though. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 11:29:24 am »
That bow was no more a Turkish Horse bow than  a horse is a rhino.
 Pretty sure the distances achieved were posted though. Marginally greater than a similar weight flatbow.

Offline HoorayHorace

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »
From my understanding, the flat bow and horse bow are faster shooters than the longbow?

I mean more efficient pound for pound of draw weight

Offline WillS

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 10:51:17 pm »
That bow was no more a Turkish Horse bow than  a horse is a rhino.
 Pretty sure the distances achieved were posted though. Marginally greater than a similar weight flatbow.

I'm assuming this isn't the best moment to let you know that one of the closest living species to a rhinoceros is a horse, right?

The "Rhino" bow did 386 yards I think.  Not sure what the arrow was, however.