Author Topic: whats good bow wood?  (Read 6021 times)

Offline sailordad

whats good bow wood?
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:11:22 pm »
               Hi everyone,
O.K. so I've become addicted to this bow making thing, I finished my first bow,and am finding out how expensive purchasing staves can be.
I have family who have land where I could cut some trees down. So I was wondering if anybody could tell me what is a good bow wood in my part of the country. I live in central Minnesota,north of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I am also wondering if anyone knows of any good stone in this part of the country to learn to make arrow heads out of.
The more I read,learn and do this bow making thing,the more I find I want to do primitively,like making my own arrows and heads. So any help would I would be thankful for.

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: whats good bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 11:45:20 pm »
I am not sure what trees grow in that area, but I believe you would have birch growing in that area.  According to The Bowyer's Bible One, you can make good bows as long as they are wide.  I think you may find American Elm and Burr Oak or Red Oak in that area as well if you are lucky.  Most any hard white wood should make a bow.  I also think you may find some buckthorn growing in that area.  I haven't used it, but have heard it makes a good bows.  Ironwood (Hophornbeam) is supposed to grow throughout Minnesota and is good bow wood.  I don't know if this helped you or not. 

If you have trouble finding suitable wood, then PM me.  I live in Southeast Minnesota and have access to a lot of good bow woods.  If you ever get in this area I could give you a stave.  I currently have staves of hophornbeam, white ash, slippery elm, shagbark hickory, bitternut hickory, and hackberry.  I can get other wood as well.

Swampman   

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 06:10:44 am »
Hey sailordad, swampman pretty much covered the list I do believe add hard maple and yellow birch to the list. I bet our areas are similiar
I'm just East of ya in the UP
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 10:12:20 am »
Hophornbeam is a very good bow wood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 11:21:39 pm »
             Once again I need to thank all of the very helpful people at PA.

I work with a guy who said he has iron wood(hophornbeam) on his land and that he would find me a tree that I could cut. So all of the info was helpfull as usual.

Swampman: nice to know I'm not the only one here in Mn. thats got the habit. I may have to take you up on your offer if this other deal doesn't work out,I'll let you know.

thanks again,

Tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd