Author Topic: Death Grip?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Death Grip?
« on: September 26, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »
I have a 54" bendy handle Osage bow that pulls 55#@26"  I'm only shooting it at about 25" draw though for some reason its just not comfortable to me at 26" even though i normally shoot my longer bows @ 27". The handle/arrow pass is the widest part of the bow at 1 1/2". I could never get consistent groups from it no matter what arrows i used or how much i shot it so it hung on the rack for a long time. I recently decided to try to hunt with it this year (season starts tomorrow :)) so i have been shooting the heck out of it. I was getting mad and frustrated one day when i couldn't get consistent groups so i squeezed the grip as hard as i could in a death grip and tried to force my arrow to go where i was looking, and to my amazement it worked. I soon found that as long as i had a very hard grip on the bow that my groups would settle right down. I shoot my stiff narrow handled bows with a much looser grip. Anyway i was wondering if the death grip is what is usually used on this type of bow or if its just a quirk on this particular bow??
Steve Bennett

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Death Grip?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 02:40:25 pm »
I don't shoot my bendy handles like that.  I hold fairly loose
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:11:38 pm »
I barely hold mine.  Literally have it pinched between my middle finger and thumb with my pointer for arrow resting.

Post a picture of the bow.
1’—>1’

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:41:07 pm »
Sounds like i just made a tempermental bow.
Heres your pictures Parnell.

Steve Bennett

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:18:23 pm »
maybe the death grip is getting your bow arm to stay still, Its always a conscious effort with me to keep my bow arm still. If I don't think about it, I get lazy, my bow arm starts to wobble, and my groups get sloppy. 

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 11:25:51 pm »
Does the bow have a rest or are you shooting off your fist?  If I am shooting off my fist I seem to grip the bow a little more deliberately, mostly to insure that I am holding the bow in the same way every shot, but I don't grip it too hard.  I may try it. :D 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:12:40 pm »
Does the bow have a rest or are you shooting off your fist?  If I am shooting off my fist I seem to grip the bow a little more deliberately, mostly to insure that I am holding the bow in the same way every shot, but I don't grip it too hard.  I may try it. :D

It doesnt have an actual rest but it does have a small piece of leather inserted between tha handle wrap and the side of the bow that acts a a sort of rest but the arrow still rides partly on my fist. It just helps me to get the arrow in the same spot on the bow every time.
Steve Bennett

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 11:12:15 pm »
Is that an Osage tree in the picture... :o
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 06:00:19 am »
Is that an Osage tree in the picture... :o
No, its a willow. But i know where there is an Osage tree thats over twice the diameter as this willow.
Steve Bennett

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 12:31:06 am »
Steve, I'd say try some different arrows. Maybe a little longer then what you normally shoot, or different weight points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?