Author Topic: Sinew-Backing Yew--Sapwood On or Off?  (Read 4374 times)

duffontap

Sinew-Backing Yew--Sapwood On or Off?
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:32:17 am »
I'm thinking about doing a Yew recurve with a couple layers of sinew.  I would prefer to keep the sapwood on for aesthetic reasons.  Is there too much risk of a delamination?

After watching Ryan post 300 nice recurves I figured I'd better take the plunge.   ;D :D

J. D.

Offline Keenan

Re: Sinew-Backing Yew--Sapwood On or Off?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 04:24:05 pm »
 JD,  I have had good results with sinew staying on yew sapwood. But with recurves you always run the risk of the sinew lifting on the inside of the curve. I've done smaller shallow curves on yew sap with good results but have never tried the full recurve like Ryan dose on his bows.  I always do a light scarape with a hacksaw blade to give it a better grip as well.    Keenan
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:46:37 am by Bornagainprimitive »

duffontap

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:31:24 pm »
Thanks Keenan,

I think this first one is going to be a working recurve/R-D type bow so maybe the lift-off risk will be lower.

J. D.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:58:39 am »
I have done it both ways. i didnt have a problem with the sapwood lifting, however, I did see a old bow that the sapwood was pulled loose from the heartwood with the sinew. I suppose it would depend on the thickness of the sap. on sharp recurves you wouldnt need the sinew anyway as these dont bend, so you can end the sinew at the apex of the curve or just before and wrap it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 11:31:13 am »
For static recurves and straight tip bows I leave the last 6" or so without sinew. It isn't needed there and just adds extra tip weight. I believe sinew/hide glue are heavier than wood anyway. I have never made a working recurve(not intentionally at least! ;D) but you could add a wrap or 2 near or through the working curves to hold down the working sinew.
   Josh, whatever you do I am sure it will be beautiful.  ;)       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

duffontap

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 12:36:24 pm »
Thanks guys.  I think I'll do it both ways.  I've been thinking about trying a couple different kinds of recurves so this will be a good chance to do it.  Looking forward to seeing what I think of something totally different than a longbow. 

J. D.

napper

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 03:45:28 pm »
JD if you just have to have the sinew all the way to the tip you can wrap sinew around  the re-curve and it won't lift I wrap the tips of all the bows that I have sinewed and it keeps it down. tom

duffontap

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:57:52 pm »
Thanks Tom.  I was considering wrapping. 

J. D.