Author Topic: Lost a Buck..  (Read 4407 times)

Offline HickoryBill

Lost a Buck..
« on: October 09, 2014, 04:08:48 pm »
 So Monday Night I got into my stand, at 5 with my trusty BBI..I was on stand for adout an hour and a half, when I had a deer run right by me...He was a 6 point from what I could tell..His right main beam had 4 points and his left side only had 2( He was broken off right above the brow tine)..He stopped perfectly broadside at 3 yards, and was looking back the way he had come...I was standing already so I counted his points( In my area here in PA a buck ha to have 3 points to a side including the brow tine)I drew aimed and shot..Looked like a perfect hit,an inch obove the shoulder and 2 inches behind the shoulder..The cedar arrow and delta sniper broadhead passed completely threw him..He took one jump and was into the hemlocks and out of sight...That was the last I saw him..I made a few calls to my buddies and waited a half hour before I got down..The arrow looked great good blood,but lots of fat on one side of the arrow....A buddy showed up and we started looking..By that time it had stated raining..So all blood was washed away..We looked for 3 hours that night with no luck..Me and 5 other guys went back the next evening after work and had no luck..We looked over every square inch of the property in the woods..The only other place he could be was in a 30 acre standing corn field..Long story short we never found him in the corn after about 10 hours of seaching...I felt like, and still, feel sick and depressed over it..I let the farmers know that there is probably a dead deer somwwhere in the field...
Looking back I think
1) the fat I found on the arrow blocked the excite wound and he only bled inside the body cavity
2) It all happened so fast my memory is foggy and I made a bad shot- Not Likely IMHO

To add Insult to injury( literally) I tripped and fell while searching for the deer in the dark, and aggravated an old back injury.. I went to the docs and I either have a bulging disc,or a ruptured disc right above my old back injury( 2 vertibreas fused together)
My season might be over..I'll find out Friday...Hopefully when they combine the corn they will find my Buck
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:13:42 pm by HickoryBill »
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Lost a Buck..
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:25:59 pm »
Tough break on both counts!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 04:41:54 pm »
Man, that's rough.  Sounds like you've done your due diligence though, Bill.
Hoping the best for your back.  I understand how tough that is.
1’—>1’

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:38:13 pm »
  Bill, most of us have been there a time or two and it is painful I know...Hope you get good news on your back man.
                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:11:24 pm »
Tough one Bill.. Sucks to lose one.. Bin there.. Fat will seal up a hole had one I shot didn't leak two drops.. When I split her open she was full.. Rain never helps on the trail.. Take care of your back
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:52:29 pm »
It happens to us all Bill and you made one heck of an effort to find him, don't be hard on yourself cause it sounds like you did all the right things within your power. Hope you get good news on your back so you are able to get back out again this season.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:39:22 pm »
Thanks guys..I rwlly appreciate it..I go for x rays and an mri tomorrow..So hopefully i'll know soon..The doc said its either a bulging disc or a ruptured disc, right above my old back injury..
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:46:51 pm »
Good luck with the tests Bill.  Bummer about the buck.  Sounds like you did all that you could to find it.  Watch for buzzards circling.  They might lead you to it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 09:25:29 am »
That's a bummer Bill. I hate that feeling. I doubt your hit was a good one and I doubt it hit where you think it did. At that short distance you only got one lung and that fat is probably brisket fat as your angle was so severe at 3 yards, basically straight down. A one lunged deer will run forever. Even if you double lung a deer and somehow fat plugs the exit, it will expire in under 100 yards 95% of the time. You would have found your treasure. Again, I feel bad for you man. Let em' get just a bit farther away next time and shave some degrees off that angle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 05:55:30 am »
Tough break,with fat on one side you probable hit him higher than you thought,bet you will see him again.  :) Good luck at the doc's.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 12:31:03 am »
Bill, Sorry to hear that you lost one, more concerned about your back though. I'm hoping everything turns out good for you. Good Luck. Bob

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:22 pm »
There is a zone between the lungs and the spine it's called " no mans land". No vitals in that area.  Like pappy said you might see him again. 

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 12:13:34 am »
Nothing in nature is wasted, what you don't eat,something else will. It is the circle of life.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington