Author Topic: A good weekend  (Read 8999 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

A good weekend
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »
Well I have seen a lot of deer over the first week and a half of Michigan's bow season but could not get close to a big doe. Finally last night it finally happened. I decided to hunt an old wood stand on a small oak ridge on my in-laws property after work last night. Just before dark a big doe, a button buck and another doe worked their way toward me through the hardwoods eating acorns. Dark was coming fast and they were moving at an agonizing pace. The wind had cut off completely and they were coming up on me from what would have been the down wind side but not a breath of wind touched the back of my head to give me away. Finally they worked their way within 20 yards. The big doe turned broadside to me at 16 yards but I couldn't shoot due to the big fork of the maple my stand was in being in the way of my canted top limb. She stood there eating for what seemed like minutes while my shooting light drained away. The whole time I just knew the wind would pick up and would carry my sent to her and the game would be up. Finally she took several steps forward and I came to full draw. The shot went off perfectly and I saw my white feathers blow through her with the sound of a definite double lung! Yes!!! She charged off into the oncoming darkness and stopped out of sight some 40 yards away, apparently not knowing what had happened. I knew what would come next and I was not disappointed. With a bleat and a lot of thrashing of leaves and brush she hit the dirt! A full freezer! I used an elm self bow I made earlier this summer, a cedar arrow tipped with a broadhead I made with some sheet steel cut and riveted into a sanded down and slotted field point. To top off the weekend, today I grabbed my bow and quiver and took a walk in the woods behind my house. A fat gray squirrel who was apparently pretty deaf and blind allowed me to sneak to within ten yards and put an arrow in him. So yeah it has been a good weekend!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: A good weekend
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »
Sounds like a great weekend, Congratulations!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:31:06 pm »
Nice shooting!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 09:47:38 pm »
Way to go Lee ! Congratulations on your harvests!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 07:58:41 am »
Nice shot! Congrats
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 08:24:57 am »
Thanks guys! Time to try for a buck

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:16:48 am »
Awesome hunt and what a fine eating deer that will be. Bet that squirrel was just about as exciting as taking the doe.. :)
The broad head reminds me of those made by Saxton Pope and Art Young. They are very cool but those barbs would be illegal in the eastern states that I have hunted. Just to be cautious, check your local laws on hunting with barbed points.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:27:50 am »
Great shooting and congratulations.  I enjoyed your post.  It's quite a thrill taking game with gear you made yourself.   Outstanding!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:34:15 am »
Great hunt and real nice shooting Lee, congrats man.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 04:34:25 pm »
Great shot!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 07:49:16 pm »
Good job man. I bet that was exciting. ;)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 09:02:22 pm »
Good telling.  Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline okie64

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 11:21:08 pm »
Nice doe Lee! Congrats

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 05:49:19 am »
Very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:07:44 am »
Good job Lee! Nice looking bow to.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:26:46 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.