Author Topic: Playing with Keokuk  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Majuba Tom

Playing with Keokuk
« on: October 13, 2014, 05:01:16 pm »
1st 2 pic's are a Dalton and 2 blades I made this weekend.

The 2nd 2 are of a Ulu knife I am working on. I had some hinging and thinning issues but it still looks good. The handle is still drying. I will probably have it glued on in a few hours. I wish it was bigger but isn't that always the case. :o

Majuba Tom

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Playing with Keokuk
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:50:44 pm »
Tom , lookin real good, I like the Ulu, nice. Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »
All looking nice! Wish I had a way to heat keokuk better, swung by Ratzat's place and got a few buckets a ways back. It just kinda, sits there :o.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:09:53 am »
Me and keokuck don't get along that well, so when I see work like yours I have much respect!  Nice clean stuff and the knife looks great!

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 11:55:24 am »
You did great. A lot of folks like Keokuk and I think it's OK, but I have a lot of trouble thinning it because the flakes that I remove are always thin! That also increases the potential for hinges. Maybe it's the grade of rock I have, but it's hard stuff even heat treated if you ask me. So, your work looks perfectly fine to me.

Offline flungonin

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:02:20 pm »
Thats pretty awesome work you have done there. That ULU is really appealing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:24:17 am »
Those are sweet, Tom. You got that Keosuck really thin. And that Ulu looks really cool.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 01:34:49 pm »
Thank you for your comments.

Now the funny thing about the Keokuk I ordered.  I had read some where that there is a real nice chert for giving demonstrations (I am not using it for a demonstration I just want something buttery) and I thought it was the Keokuk. I have not been able to find where I read that. :o
I had been wanting to try the Keokuk anyway  and I like how it works. I did discover I had to abrade it like crazy.

There is a lot more types of stone I want to try and I am planing on buying 2 more types in the next month or so. I am going to get some Sonora but I do not know what the 2nd type should be.

I would like some suggestions for  the 2nd type of chert/flint that might work like butter if there is one. :)
So what is everyone's favorite flit?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Tom

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:27:05 am »
Sonora, Hornstone, Georgetown are a few slick ones..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:49:00 am »
As unglamorous as it is, Edwards chert, when heat treated is one that I have had great success with. I am sure the same goes for Pedernales and Georgetown. So, Texas chert is a sure-fire material and the "bedrock" of good knapping.

That said, I haven't had a lot of other more exotic or limited materials, but I did like some Knife River flint that Woody Blackwell sent me and also enjoyed English flint.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 12:38:07 pm »
I have beat on a lot of differnt materials and keep coming back to some good heat treated Texas rock, I am really fond of a nice pink pc of Kinely's rock from west Texas. Bob

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 04:03:19 pm »
  I love/hate Keokuk....    Hornstone is still on my "wanna try" list but I was just gifted some Georgetown & Pedrenales in a point trade on another forum...  I don`t know if it`s heat treated or not, but that stuff even slabbed seems sorta tough to me ( but then again, I`ve been doing a lot of Obsidian lately, so I`m just not used to "man rock" anymore...)
   That`s some nicely figured rock you`re working tho... the grain matches your Ulu
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.