Author Topic: Apprentice Horn Bowyer :)  (Read 11032 times)

Benn_of_Trades

Apprentice Horn Bowyer :)
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:54:46 pm »
Hello all,
  I am completely new to bow making with horn. I have made many bows from staves, boards and even some pvc ones ( not a fan of pvc at all). I would like to learn to all that I can to make horn bows, but alas I cannot find a good source for information on this subject, Everything I find is sketchy or so limited I am unsure how to begin or even were or what materials to use. I could really use some time of Step by step guide or book on how to master this craft. If anyone has any information for me I would greatly appreciate your insight and knowledge.

mikekeswick

Re: Apprentice Horn Bowyer :)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:10 am »
Adam Karpowzi's book is a 100% must have. http://www.ottoman-turkish-bows.com/
I cannot recommend this book more highly.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:51:32 am »
The only problem is you will have to find one that is used, get someone to loan you it, or read German. There are not any left in English.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:58:36 am »
In your other thread you mention only making a few bows? And here you state you've made many?  ??? Wood you care to share and show these bows you've made ;) it can be hard to judge experience level by self biased hearsay only  ::)  ;)

Hope this isn't another case of you can be anything ya want to be on the interwebs... ::) 

Benn_of_Trades

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:20:44 am »
Hmm I will have to do some searching for that book since I do not speak or read German. I do appreciate the information and references from everyone so far thank you.

@Blackhawk I am sorry for poor word choice in my other posting. I have only about 2 years of bow making experience I can look and see if we have some pictures laying around or have my family members that I made these bows for to send me some if it will help you, help me in some way.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:23:58 am by Benn_of_Trades »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:01:58 am »
In my experience the only way to learn anything is by doing it, Benn.  Bad Chris offers some valid advice, though.  Lots of help on here but people do come and go and I think the "trade secrets" of hornbow making are something coveted by many and given out by few.  Probably would find long term help by building a little reputation, but hey, that is only an opinion.  Of course, just diving in and photos of your progress will also invite help.

I'm in the same basic boat as you.

Have a good day and good luck.

Mean ole Chicken Hawk. :P ;D
1’—>1’

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:21:53 am »
 ^^^^

:laugh:  :laugh:

Over the years we've seen lots of posers and imposters come n go on the forums...so when one comdradicts themselves in there first 3 posts ever it makes this shrood skeptic even more skeptical is all...hope ya understand where I'm coming from... Not trying to be mean...its just that if folks know where your at experience wise they'll know better how to direct and help you is all ;)

Eddie that's the first I heard Adams books are no longer available in English... Glad I got mine a few years ago ;)

Benn..have ya made any sinew backed short bows before??? That's a good starting point in learning the sinew process part,and before ya add a whole nother dimension to the process(horn)

Benn_of_Trades

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:43:58 am »
@ Blackhawk I have backed a few bows with sinew yes. But not until recently I had the hardest time finding it and most butchers didn't even know what it was! I ended up have to buy some off ebay. I do understand what you mean as well by people coming in and talking a big game and then leaving or not delivering. I see it almost every other week here at work as we seem to get a lot of younger people with all this fork lift, machining or this and that experience and in the end can hardly read a tape. So no worries my feelings have not been hurt in the slightest.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 12:40:02 pm »
If there is resources that ya need (adams book,sinew,and maybe horn)and can't get at home the trading post here is invaluable...share some of your work,thoughts,opinions,and posts more here and make a good name for yourself letting folks know who you are and such....and you should be able to find what ya need by way of trade ;) lots of folks will be resupplying there sinew soon as its hunting season ;)

Stick around and make some friends ;) it'll help you in getting what ya need in the long run...most folks are very friendly and helpful here...(unlike me) ;)  its more than just nother "forum" here with no faces hidden behind a screen....its a family ;) and family always helps family ;)

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 03:07:07 pm »
Adams book is the text book on horn bows, so much info in it.
I have everything I need to attempt a horn bow, but its still pretty
intimidating. If youve already made a few short sinew bows successfully,
Maybe a north american style horn/sinew bow should be next.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 11:13:50 pm »
on this subject of asking for help. Water buffalo horn has long solid tips and a wicked curve, does anybody have suggestions as how to cut this horn to get maxium benefit. I went to Adams site recently looking for a copy of his book and there is a message there that its first edition is sold out, look for the second edition soon. We can only wait and hope.
Johnny
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 12:15:41 am »
^^^^

:laugh:  :laugh:

Over the years we've seen lots of posers and imposters come n go on the forums...so when one comdradicts themselves in there first 3 posts ever it makes this shrood skeptic even more skeptical is all...hope ya understand where I'm coming from... Not trying to be mean...its just that if folks know where your at experience wise they'll know better how to direct and help you is all ;)

Eddie that's the first I heard Adams books are no longer available in English... Glad I got mine a few years ago ;)

Benn..have ya made any sinew backed short bows before??? That's a good starting point in learning the sinew process part,and before ya add a whole nother dimension to the process(horn)

Yea Chris, I was talking to James a few nights back and he told me he talked to Adam and that was the last of them. Can I borrow yours? ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 01:09:46 pm »
Does anyone know when Adam's second edition will be available?