Author Topic: Kit bows  (Read 11438 times)

Offline Jax666

Kit bows
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:17:03 am »
Are kit bows a good deal for a first attempt? I am still looking for a good source of ERC. It grows locally, but I am too old to wait for a tree to get big enough and then dry.

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Kit bows
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:21:07 am »
The advantage in ordering a kit bow is that the belly lam is already chosen and cut for you. The gluing  together of core to handle, or core to handle to backing strip is the main obstacle. From there just tiller it out and finish it. There are a couple good suppliers if you check around. I believe Mike Yancy with Pine Hollow Longbows used to sell a cedar core kit. IMO a bow kit will introduce you to the basics and yield a shootable bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:32:24 am »
If you mean kit as in a laminate bow then no IMHO...saplings and proper chosen grain boards are best to learn on.

If your a cheap goat like me your best option is to go cut some whitewood saplings and learn on them for free..instead of payin money for materials that you'll possibly ruin in the end..and even if ya r successful it'll still be far from what it should be...99% of anyone trying there hand at bowmaking takes many tries,trials,and successful bows to be able to make a great bow....do your best but don't expect your firsts to be all that you hope it to be...good luck and don't give up ;)

PS..a sapling (or any fresh green cut wood)can be flinging arras in a few weeks via quick dry method

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:12:19 pm »
I started by making board bows. Materials are cheap, already dry and good to go as soon as you get them home. There are great build alongs and resources to guide you through a board bow build. IMO it's a good way to learn and the feeling of accomplishment when you have a successful bow in hand is hard to beat. Look for "Jawge" on here - anything he says about boards I'd believe to be  gospel!

Offline Jax666

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 05:23:09 pm »
I started by making board bows. Materials are cheap, already dry and good to go as soon as you get them home. There are great build alongs and resources to guide you through a board bow build. IMO it's a good way to learn and the feeling of accomplishment when you have a successful bow in hand is hard to beat. Look for "Jawge" on here - anything he says about boards I'd believe to be  gospel!
I was looking at boards at Menard's today and could not find any with a nice grain. I looked at both oak and maple.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 02:11:25 am »
Cheap backing.... like paper bags, drywall tape, either kind will work! It will increase your unusable too usable within reason. :) Good grain is the best though!

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 06:55:02 am »
Cheap backing.... like paper bags, drywall tape, either kind will work! It will increase your unusable too usable within reason. :) Good grain is the best though!

What about rawhide? Not as cheap, but available locally from either Tandy or a saddle maker.

VMB

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 08:59:42 am »
Leather, rawhide or linen all help. Can be attached with Titebond II or III.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 11:05:57 am »
Rawhide could be obtained from a rawhide dog bone - for 3 -6$, more than enough to back a bow.  Try to get one that doesn't look superthick, and looks to not have a lot ofholes.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 11:09:00 am »

VMB

Seems like a paper bag wouldn't help much when it comes to holding a splinter down
I like osage

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 11:37:43 am »

VMB

Seems like a paper bag wouldn't help much when it comes to holding a splinter down

And how do you come to that conclusion... ???
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

JacksonCash

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 11:55:43 am »
I was looking at boards at Menard's today and could not find any with a nice grain. I looked at both oak and maple.

Don't forget hickory! Menards carries hickory! As far as backings, linen was easier to work with for me than rawhide.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 01:32:22 pm »
I backed my first board with material from a a pair of camo pants I got at Goodwill. Wasn't pretty but it was cheap and it worked. Linen sure looks better though.

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 02:46:36 am »
A paper bag isn't going to offer much protection...try sticking your finger through one  >:D
Rawhide is one of the best backing if your grain is dodgy. Easy to apply once you've got the hang of it too.
Unless you get a very straight grained board back it.

Offline Jax666

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 07:15:20 am »
I backed my first board with material from a a pair of camo pants I got at Goodwill. Wasn't pretty but it was cheap and it worked. Linen sure looks better though.
What about blue jeans?