Author Topic: egg tanning  (Read 48709 times)

jamie

Re: egg tanning
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 06:49:30 am »
hair on is a dry scrape. the eggs should be rubbed into the prepared flesh side after getting the hide damp again.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 10:24:18 am »
Can most any type of hide (fox, bobcat, beaver) be tanned using this method??

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

jamie

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 11:29:56 am »
yes but a lot of the small game hides need to be degreased.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 12:15:20 pm »
Thanks Jamie:

Hardwood ashes are good to slip the hair from hides, are they also a good degreaser?

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 12:31:29 pm »
David bob said they are a good degreaser, and I tend to believe him ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline uwe

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 03:26:35 pm »
I have the Book: The complete Bookof Tanning Skins and Furs" by James Churchill. One of degreasing solutions says: caution, Skins should be partially dried before degreasing, as water will prevent the solvents from working properly, Use extreme caution when using these flamable solutions.

4 tablespoon of Tide or liquid Ivory, 1 Gallon warm water. Wash and soak the skins in the water for 10  to 15 minutes. This will work best for skins with light grease; however, several baths with drying periods between them will degrease most skins.

What is "Tide" or what is" liquid ivory"? I only know hard ivory  (elephant teeth etc.).

More solutions- ask!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 03:30:08 pm »
Tide is laundry soap and liquid ivory is just liquid soap.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

ozark caveman

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 03:42:20 pm »
The best book you can get because it's so simple is Deerskins into Bucksins by Matt Richards. It will tell you everything you need to know step by step. By the way here are the steps to wet scraping hides. #1fleshing, #2bucking, #3 graing, #4 rinsing, #5 braining, #6 softening, #7 smoking. If you would like I can walk you through all the steps. I consider myself very experienced in this skill ;D

Offline uwe

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 03:45:14 pm »
Okay! Wanna test ya! ;D

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 04:01:43 am »
Looking at tanning some otter hides here soon, so I've got a question. I'm planning on egg tanning, hair on (obviously), so what should my egg mixture amount to when applying them to the fleshy surface of the skin? As in, how many eggs to how much water in order to make it able to soak in but still thick enough to stay on the hide?

Also, once the eggs have been applied and then let to soak in overnight, how should I remove the eggs before working the hide?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 04:07:07 am by Andrea S »
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 10:32:06 pm »
for an otter i would use 5 eggs, whites and yolks.and a cup of water and mix well, rub it in good and it will dry, you dont need to remove the eggs.  it soaks in, the mixture is rather runny.  i apply once and let dry in the sun for an hour or 2 and then apply again and then let dry overnight inside and then apply again in the morning and let dry while at work and then when i get home, work it.  tanned hide in  2-3 days.      from "popular demand"  ;)  i'll be doing a tan a long on a muskrat very shortly, i started it today but havent posted yet, i probably will post it tomarrow-  Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive