Author Topic: egg tanning  (Read 48699 times)

Offline mitchman

egg tanning
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:03:55 am »
is the process for egg tanning the same as with brains i was going to do brains today but eggs seem a little nicer to work with. any help quick would be nice. todays the day i have time to do it. ;D

Offline DanaM

Re: egg tanning
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:23:25 am »
As far as I know it is, do a search for "egg tan" its been discussed before.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:35:12 am »
Same process. Any kind of emulsifiable oils work-brains, eggs, a mixture of soap and pure neatsfoot oil, etc. I think brains work a bit better than eggs, maybe, but I've tanned one deer hide with eggs and it came out pretty good. Make sure you wet the hide, wring it out thoroughly, and stretch it good in all directions before you put it in the eggs so that it's opened up and will soak them up. You may have to apply them more than once to get complete saturation of the hide.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 10:41:37 am »
sweet thanks

ozark caveman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 03:16:07 am »
All I ever do is egg tan. It works awesome. One dozen per hide. I can help you through the process if you need any help!

Offline uwe

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:18:39 am »
Do you smoke them after tanning and stretching?

ozark caveman

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »
Yes! I prefer a heavy smoke. I like the hide to be really dark and kinda tacky from the pitch. The tackiness goes away and your left with beautiful color and smell :)

jamie

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 07:16:59 pm »
love eggs i find it works just as well as brains. and with an abundance of hides from hunters and an absence of brains, the deers not mine, you can get a nice natural tan.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:31:45 pm »
OK........Dumb Question.........but dont the Eggs make the Hide stink to high heavens??? ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:39:50 am »
Nope. Tanned hides actually smell good, even better after smoking.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline uwe

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 04:02:41 pm »
Another question in the process: does warmth play a role? Zhe process is familar to braintanning. Here the brain is boiled up to the state of a soup.
My feeling says its not the way with eggs.
And do this tanned hides behave as braintanned hides after they got wet and then dried?

jamie

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 04:48:57 pm »
the process is identicle , place eggs in the hottest water you can put your hands in. ive never boiled brains for dressing a hide. and now that as ive said that, brain tanning is not tanning at all. tanning requires tannin from a plant/tree source. you are really dressing the hidebut brain dressing sounds wierd ;D

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 04:56:58 pm »
All I ever do is egg tan. It works awesome. One dozen per hide. I can help you through the process if you need any help!

Which size of hide would this be good for and which other ingredients do I have to mix with the eggsß

jamie

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 05:54:10 pm »
some diced onions, ham and shredded cheese tastes good.  >:D sorry couldnt help myself. depends on how you do the hide. i wet scrape so i dont use a drying rack till the hand. just soak the hide in warm water if its dried up. wring the hide out to remove as muchh water as possible then put the hide in the bucket with the egg mixture and squeze it around , remove it and wring out the moisture again, then put it back in the bucket and do it again. make sure wring it out over the bucket so the egg mixture goes back in the bucket.i do this 3 or 4 times to make sure the mixture is thoroughly soaked through. rack it and start stretchin. if you use the dry scrape method and are not getting the softest hide you can get try wet scrape. a dry hide that is then resoaked doesnt absorb the way a fresh hide does.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 10:51:20 pm »
Will this method work for the "hair on",or will it cause the hair to slip? Thanks,and  God Bless,  PeteC
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas