Author Topic: Traditional Kayaking  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Traditional Kayaking
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »
I thought this might be right up the alley of many bowmakers...  (It is for me!)  My wife and I just got back from the 26th Annual Delmarva Paddler's Retreat, on Rehoboth Bay, in Delaware.  The retreat has focused on traditional Greenland qajaqs and rolling techniques since 2001, and features mentored rolling sessions, along with various presentations throughout the weekend.  This year's event was another washout with continuous wind and rain, though milder than last year's intense Nor'Easter.  All sessions, however, went on as planned.  This was my wife's first time spending any serious time in a Greenland qajaq, let alone upside down in any kayak.  The mentors are fantastic and soothed her trepidation (aka; unbridled fear of being trapped under water) with verbal assurance and close contact the entire time.  This was my 3rd attendance, and as always, everyone was so much fun.  I heard this year's head count was 65.

The Tower on the beach at Camp Arrowhead.  Greenland, USA, and Norway flags proudly blowing.

Our sleeping arrangements in Warbonnet hammocks, on the edge of the woods, about 100 yds from the water.  We also claimed an adjacent cabin to stage our gear.

My lovely wife, enjoying hammock life. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:58:54 pm by Alpinbogen »

Offline Alpinbogen

Re: Traditional Kayaking
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:49:56 pm »
The event is sponsored by Qajaq USA, the American Chapter of Greenland's Qaannat Kattuffiat (kayak club), dedicated to keeping traditional kayaking skills alive.

Qajaq USA has a traveling fleet of 17 skin-on-frame qajaqs, along with numerous paddles, norsaqs, akuilisaqs, avataqs, and tuiliks available for anyone needing equipment.  Here is their trailer with blue "Smurf gear", airing out as best as can be in the rainy weather.

Saturday night's presentation with special guest, Anders Thygesen, founder of Kajakkspesialisten, in Norway.

Ulu set and cedar paddle (built days earlier by Brian Shultz of Cape Falcon Kayak) that my wife won in Saturday night's auction.  All proceeds benefit Qajaq USA.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 08:50:50 pm »
The "big guns" in a friendly international rolling competion.  My favorite roll was (rolling guru) Dubside's "Wine Roll" (not shown); a complete 360 degree hand roll, while passing a glass of wine above the water and surfacing without spilling a drop!  Best party roll, ever!

On Sunday, the sun finally came out.  (Morning) Mentor training was held in the small pool.  Can you say, "ice water"?  Holy crap!  Skivvies under a dry suit weren't cutting it!

Palo's Wedding Relay Race is held immediately following the Sunday morning sessions.  Kayaks entering the water.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 08:51:27 pm »
The weather was finally safe for non-waterproof cameras.  Pulling the race together is best described as organized chaos!  There are lots of additions/subtractions and team flopping down to the last seconds!

Kayaks lining up at the starting gate.

"Sprinters, GO!!!"  Norwegian guest, Anders Thygesen, lunged far ahead in the first few strokes!  You can barely see the stern of his kayak in the far right of the photo.  Incredible!

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 08:52:14 pm »
After the sprinters round the buoys and make it back to the beach, they hand a norsaq off to paddlers towing the "seals".  It's quite the melee with sprinters jetting in and seals hauling out!   ;D  "Seals" are being towed in this pic.  "All seals must be dead", and seals observed to assist by kicking or swimming may be clubbed with paddles or norsaqs by competitors!   >:D

Impending carnage.... (There was at least one wet exit in this race.)

A mentor in baidarka after his leg.  "Backwards paddler" coming in, in the distance.  (He just built his kayak in Brian Shultz's class in the days preceeding Delmarva!)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:13:36 pm by Alpinbogen »

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:56:58 pm »
Palo and Bride, rounding buoy on the way out!

Another Palo and Bride coming in!  (Hang on, Bride!)

This turned out to be a photo finish for 2nd/3rd!  (Dad with daughter in distance, at only 7 years old!)  :dblthumb:

One of the group's contratulatory photos.  (This is such a fun event, I forget who even won.) 

Congratulating Rocket Man, Anders!

After lunch and the official closing, I couldn't resist doing a few more rolls in the blessed sunshine...all of which I've learned in the last few years at Delmarva!  I set my GoPro on one of the wooden dock piers to catch the action.  (Can you embed youtube here?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyFxL9tpygY

If anyone is interested in Greenland paddling and rolling, check out Qajaq USA's website.  There are a handful of these events that go on every year across the country.  Paddling and rolling in a skin-on-frame kayak is like magic.  It's organic and light, and the wooden frame flexes with the waves and motion of the water.  You sit on a fabric skin and can sense the slightlest temperature change in the water, from your backside to your core.  It's the most intimate paddling experience you can imagine.  It's a dance with the water, with the qajaq your shoes.  :4:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:58:19 pm by Alpinbogen »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 09:06:56 pm »
That is cool! I could really get into it if it was warmer. :) My Dream Vacation is going to Iceland, the wife and I were just talking about it last night.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 11:58:24 pm »
Very cool! My river is not fond of "traditional" kayaks but handles the moderns well.

Online chamookman

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 06:31:03 am »
Very interesting - thanks for sharing. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »
Thats  good  stuff there thanks JeffW

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 12:33:02 am »
Dang, that looks really cool!  No way I would get in that water though.  I'm cold just looking at it lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline wildman

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 02:41:59 pm »
Those wooden sea yaks are a work of art! Way cool post.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 03:05:08 pm »
That is cool! Those yaks are works of art like Bill said.

I love the under quilts. Did you buy them? If so, where? I need a good one myself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 08:54:32 pm »
Those wooden sea yaks are a work of art! Way cool post.
Traditional arctic kayaks were made by skin-on-frame construction, similar to early airplanes.  Seal skin was traditionally used for the skin, thought ballistic nylon is now much more common.   ;)  This is the frame of one I built last year before skinning.  Strong and light, the completed kayak is 18.5' long and weighs just 27#. 

The event is centered around Traditional Greenland kayaking, but anyone with another suitable kayak is welcome to learn the paddling and rolling techniques.  Or, they can hop in a fleet kayak, first come, first serve.  Greenland kayaks, Aleutian baidarkas (Actually baidarka is the Russian term for "little boat".  Ikyax is the Aleutian name.), and modern sea kayaks in everything from skin-on-frame, stitch and glue, and strip-built, to polyethylene, fiberglass, and kelvar construction were in attendance. 

Dang, that looks really cool!  No way I would get in that water though.  I'm cold just looking at it lol
Hence, you see everyone in drysuits and tuiliks.   :)  Cold water actually isn't bad at all when dressed for it. 

I love the under quilts. Did you buy them? If so, where? I need a good one myself.
These are 850+fill goose down quilts from Underground Quilts (UGQ).  I've had quilts by 3 manufacturers, and these are the best quilts made, IMO.  I have 20* set and a 40* set of their Zeppelin and Flight Jacket quilts.  Their underquilts are quite wide for excellent coverage and have a great suspension that doesn't let the underquilt shift or sag.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:58:33 pm by Alpinbogen »

Offline Adirondackman

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 02:40:46 pm »
Where Could a very interested person get some building plans?