Author Topic: Starting another one...  (Read 12635 times)

Offline Gaust

Re: Starting another one...
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2014, 12:03:43 pm »
SLIMBOB, I thought about doing that.  I did it to my last bow and it worked out pretty well.  But this stave has been heated so much, almost afraid to toast it again.  Alignment is holding up okay, so I'm encouraged.
G.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2014, 12:13:41 pm »
I truly don't know when too much is too much (too often really).  Tempering is something I started doing only 5 years ago or so.  But I have some that I tempered repeatedly without any ill effects. They all seemed to benefit from it.  I did have one Osage bow that split clean thru from repeated attempts, but I just let it get too hot for too long.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2014, 12:36:22 pm »
The deflex is not too much right now.  Like I said I'll be watching it closely.  I'm encouraged by Tim Baker's example of a reflex-deflex bow on page 173 of TBB Vol.2.  Says it's a dead ringer for a four thousand year old Italian bow.  So, I'm not worried about it.
G.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2014, 01:34:42 pm »
Got it to 5 1/2" brace.  Pulled it to 22".  About 28 lbs. at that point.  Going to let it rest at brace for a while before I go further.  It's becoming a bow now.
G.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2014, 01:56:39 pm »
It's still just a stave, it's not a bow until you loose that first arrow  ;)

Offline Gaust

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2014, 02:02:53 pm »
So true, Falcon.  I'm getting ahead of myself.  I'm just thrilled to reach this point with this stave.  With this rain we're having, and with company coming in, I probably will wait a while longer to get to reach point where I can shoot it. 
G.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2014, 05:15:17 pm »
The left limb looks strong to me......take some scrapes on the left limb and it might even up some.................IMHO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Gaust

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2014, 09:46:30 pm »
Thanks, Dbar.  It might appear that way because of the weaker recurve, but I'll check it.
G.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2014, 10:08:29 pm »
I should have known it would happen.  Tried another toasting of the belly to reduce the deflex that was appearing plus back some draw weight, but I forgot to clamp laterally and the stave tried to return to its old self.  Frustrating.  But I'm learning. This one will end up a bow, but right now I'm not sure what kind.
G.