Author Topic: Phragmites  (Read 18268 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: Phragmites
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 11:44:46 pm »
But, if you like, I'd be happy to show you where we can cut plum, chokecherry, willow, and red osier shoots.

I would be happy to find chokecherry and red osier especially.  I like experimenting with different materials.  I am leaning toward display arrows (arrow of light for cub scouts) most likely for the phragmites, but some of the stuff I harvested looks like it might actually work. Others not so much.  It is clearly not as thick as that texas stuff.

Where in Utah are you?  there are getting to be a few of us.  I am in Pleasant Grove.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2014, 09:35:17 am »
Jeff, I have cut some willow, Haven't made arrows out of any yet, but I know where to get lots.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »
yeah, willow is easy to find, and I have some lilac too.  If I can find chokecherry, maybe I can make a bow from it too, and I would like to try red osier.  I am going to try the phragmites once my Christmas projects are done.  I still have a lot of feathers to cut. . .

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2014, 05:16:41 pm »
   Bountiful area for me.  Nice to meet ya.  PM me.  I'm a busy man, but free at weird times and short notice.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 05:51:49 pm »
I don't know why I hate cutting and grinding feathers, but I do!

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 07:38:16 pm »
  Hey, Jeff!   I am a Utahn, as well.  The specie you see in the GSL marshes and around UL is NOT the same specie the guys back east use.  At least my research tells me so.  Ours lives only a year or two, and is very sensitive to water levels. It is an imported/invasive species.

"Phragmites" is the name of a whole family of grasses that grow as reeds.  What we have, I believe is Phrag. Australis.    My experience makes me think kid's arrows only.  I don't know what these guys back east have, but rivercane and hill cane are not the same as what we have.

But, if you like, I'd be happy to show you where we can cut plum, chokecherry, willow, and red osier shoots.

You are certainly right, but it may work anyway. The stuff I cut looks like the reed from GunDoc's how-to  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,49422.0.html.  I am cautiously optimistic, but I don't think my expectations are too high, either.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 01:31:52 pm »
I don't know why I hate cutting and grinding feathers, but I do!

My problem is finding enough feathers.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 02:18:38 pm »
What type of feathers are you after?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2014, 12:52:14 pm »
  Oh, I can buy all I want, but I like to use natural feathers when I make primitive arrows, like natural turkey or Canada goose.  Turkey hunting isn't the thing in UT it is back east, and not many guys harvest.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2014, 02:27:44 pm »
I'll let you know after the hunt coming up. I got 2 wings last season from a friend at work. I still have one left. I also put out the word to all my water fowl buddies, no returns from that yet.

Offline jeffp51

Re: Phragmites-- new pics
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 12:16:09 am »
Here is my first attempt at a phragmites arrow.  This one is display only, as it is an arrow of light arrow for my son, but I am confident it would work just fine. Here the stats:
28" main shaft and 4" foreshaft made of a lilac shoot from my neighbor's yard.  The spine is very near to some of my bamboo shafts, but quite a bit lighter.  The entire arrow is 22 grams. It also straightens pretty easily, and with very little heat.  It reminded me of roasting marshmallows--that light golden brown seemed to be the color when the nodes were perfect for bending. The Point is some sort of vodka bottle glass I found in the recycling dumpster (yes, I do dive--so sue me), and the sinew I also got for free from the game processor.  So everything about this arrow was 100% free.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:23:27 am by jeffp51 »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 12:19:32 am »
One more of the owner.  He is happy, he just doesn't smile much.  The arrow is now on the wall over his bed

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 01:35:30 am »
Very nice looking arrow!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Josh B

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 11:03:17 am »
Very nicely done Sir!  I like the lilac foreshaft.   Lucky for me I have plenty of dogwood around, else I might  wind up in the doghouse at home for unauthorized pruning of Momma's lilac bushes!  Lol!  Josh

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 11:12:50 am »
Good work!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857