Author Topic: Horn tips...  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Staver

Horn tips...
« on: January 12, 2008, 05:59:47 pm »
I'm new to this site and was interested in making some horn tips on some future bows.  I've never done it before and was wondering if there is already a build-a-long on this topic.  I've seen different types of horn tips and I like the kind that I've seen Pappy make for his bows.  (Pappy - your bows are amazing! :)) Is there a part of the horn that works the best (base vs middle vs tips).  What kind of glues work the best etc.  Just thought I'd throw the question out there because I think the horn tips look really nice and all you guys have excellent suggestions.  Thanks, JoeH

Offline markinengland

Re: Horn tips...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:35:14 pm »
I have used only water buffalo horn. This seems to be Ok no matter what part of the hoirn is used. There tends to be a weak point or line down the very centre of the horn but it seems solid on all the bits I have cut.
I have used aerolite 306, resorcinol and exoxy which seem OK. Recently I have used a thick superglue type that is sued to stick knife scales on. Seems to work very well and very quickly.
I think it is important to prepare the surfaces in the right way and put appropriate pressure on as stress can be quite high.
Mark in England

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:44:58 pm »
Joe, Generally the smoother sections of antler are the best although the knarly stuff looks cool. Your main concern with tip reenforcement(antler, horn, bone, wood, etc) is being sure you have good mating surfaces on the bow tip and antler. I have used gel super glue and 2Ton epoxy and I know folks that use TBIII or even hide glue.
   What I do is cut a long wedge off of the side of the antler. Its length(1" to 2") will depend on what you like and what you think looks best for the bow. I make that decision when it is time to make the overlays. Sand the cut side down smooth and flat and shape the rest basically the size of the unfinished tips. Be sure you make the fade area of the tip overlay(so the string slides over the overlay easily) thin before glue up. This helps out when final shaping time comes.  Final shaping for the overlays will come when you shape the limb tips. Make a smooth and flat surface on the bow tip to match the size of the overlay. When you are sure everything mates up perfectly add your glue and clamp. I prefer 2 clamps for each tip to be sure everything has even pressure.
   On most bows,tip overlays are for aesthetic reasons and not necessity...although with some woods overlays are recommended to protect the tip from the string.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:42:16 am »
Make sure the surfaces are clean and dust free, if using horn or antler I like to
rough the surface a little with 80 grit first
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 07:03:01 am »
dear moderators!  -  i did a build-a-long on overlays some time ago that seems to have vanished mysteriously; anyone knows about that??

the link was:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1729.0.html

frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 07:45:35 am »
Frank thanks for pointing that out, its in The build along section now at the top.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 07:49:43 am »

thanks dana!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Staver

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 06:50:04 pm »
Thanks for all the great info on horn tips!!

Markinengland,  I was wanting to use buffalo horn, but I don't know if any type of horn is better than another (water buffalo, bison, cow, etc).

Pat B, I also like the idea of using antler for tips too!  I have a boat load of antler and I should try doing antler tips for sure.

Dana M, I'll definitely clean up the contact areas real good and get a flat surface going too.  Is there anything that needs to be done to osage orange like getting the oils out, before you glue up the tips?

Frank, thanks for the build-a-long!  That's what I was looking for ;)  Your tip work is outstanding!!

Thanks again  8)  Joe H

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:17:06 pm »
Staver I would wipe em down good with acetone first. Just to be on the safe side.

Manistique, MI

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 01:32:22 am »
Staver, Are you wanting to know about horn{or antler} tips(as per ELBs) or horn and antler tip overlays? Different kettle of fish! :o ;)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Staver

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 05:41:18 pm »
Pat B, After looking around on this site I've discovered that I'm wondering about tip overlays.  But since you've sorted out the kettle a fish, how would one go about using antler for tips?  ???  Thanks Pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 10:04:44 pm »
Frank, your overlays are awesome, wish I could get mine to come out like that. Mine usually have a 1/4" glue line on one side and look like they were gnawed to shape by a rat.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 12:46:58 am »
Staver, I drill them out just like with horn tips. I use a 1/2" spade bit that I ground the corners off so it drills a conical hole. Then I match the bow tip so they fit together and glue. The only bow I used antler tips on is a hickory backed ERC ELB style bow and without thinking I put the tips on backwards. I kept looking at the bow and wondering why it looked like it had more set that it actually had. ::)  ;D  Pat