Author Topic: Objectives for flight shooting federation  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Badger

Objectives for flight shooting federation
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:44:22 pm »
 I thought I would write a little piece just to explain my perspective on the new flight shooting federation we are starting. We may all have slightly different objectives and this may affect how we feel about drafting the rules and policies for the new orgaization. The way I see it is that all of our objectives are of equal importance and consideration so I will remain open to others views and willing to compromise where needed. I also expect others to argue thier case as I will argue mine. This will force us to come up with the best compromises I feel.

My first objective is to promote the sport of flight archery in general. It is a little known and even less practiced sport that I feel is worthy of more exposure and has great potential to be appreciated and practiced by more people if given the opportunity. New blood is the only thing that will keep it alive and thriving. I feel my biggest challenge is giving the average bowyer a clear easy way to start experiencing the sport.

If you took flight shooting to its most extreme level it would get down to the strongest archer with the best tecnique shooting the best arrow made by the best arrow maker out of the strongest fastest bow ever built. this would obviously eliminate allmost all of us and the sport would soon die for lack of interest. For this reason we developed classes for bow types and draw strengths to include a lot more people.

I see the new federation as simply an extension of this neccessary policy of drafting classes to attract more particapants. Many of us have bow types we tend to favor that very well may not be ideal for flight shooting very light arrows. I believe shooting these bows as they were meant to be shot using arrow weights and draw lengths that accurately reflect the job the bow was intended to do gives bowyers reasonable benchmarks to work toward and would encourage particapation in available events.

Making events more available depends upon our ability to train officials that could run an event at thier local archery club or sponsor it on their own. If we are all playing by the same rules it becomes more interesting and gives us one more demension to this great sport that we can enjoy. Clear, concise easy to follow rules and policies can be learned on line. This would allow virtually any group anywhere in the world to start thier own flight club and be a part of the main body.

I feel very strongly about incorporating traditional flight classes, meaning shot as intended into our flight program and feel they will play an important roll in rejuvenating flight archery. We will also have of course our regular flight program for the more serious flight shooters.

Please state what you would like to see or are interested in.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Objectives for flight shooting federation
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 04:59:04 pm »
Well said :).
I think it covers everything I'm after which is a chance to test my bows against those of similar enthusiasts and to try to bring together like minded individuals who's bows fall outside the mainstream of  flight shooting in the UK.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 05:18:09 pm »
I can't find anything on flight shooting in Canada. I'm in.

Offline avcase

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:21:04 am »
Steve,
I really like the vision. It is really positive and I especially like the goal of trying to figure out ways to keep it accessible and interesting for the average person.  The emphasis on record distances has always been a problem because it devalues anything short of a record and it can be pretty discouraging to anyone new to the sport. I think anything promoting direct competition among a larger group is better than everyone shooting by themselves in their own super-specific class. I have thought that it would be fun to have some kind of annual challenge bow contest with a unique set of requirements that don't require super humans to participate in. I bet you'd be great at coming up with some good ideas.

One of the fun flight shooting "events" we often do is have a shoot-off with everyone using the same bow and arrows. The bow is light and arrows are short so no one is at a physical disadvantage. The arrows are very light and high drag so it doesn't require a large field. We find ourselves trying every trick in the book to gain a few more inches over the previous shooter. The winner keeps the bow and arrows as a trophy until the next time.

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:55:10 am »
  Allen, I did the same thing with a couple of guys on a rabbit hunting trip we all shot the same bow all drew it the same distance and I was still over 30 yards ahead of them because they had never shot flight before. It impressed them in how important a good release is. We used a matched set of 12 arrows shooting 4 each.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:46:02 am »
You nailed it Steve !!!!!!
Lets get it rolling !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !