Author Topic: before starting....  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

before starting....
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:43:10 pm »
OK, so I've got a couple of white oak and hickory trees that we're going to be dropping, so I thought they'd be great to learn on for making my first selfbows...  I'm thinking it's high time I learn...

So, being the nerd that I am, I picked up "Building the Sinew Backed Bow" DVD, The "Rattlestick" DVD, and the book "The Art of Making Selfbows."

They're all great but for one question....   What rough thickness do you start out with just before floor tiller?
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline osage outlaw

Re: before starting....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:57:16 pm »
My first suggestion would be to wait until spring to drop those trees.  The bark will probably be stuck tight this time of year and be a pain to remove without damaging the outer ring.  In the spring when the sap starts flowing the bark should peal right off.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:21:18 pm »
That's a good suggestion - it will also give you time to read up on things a bit.  In the meantime, you could try to find a straight-grained board to work on.  Your trees will need to season for a while anyway.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:24:03 pm »
I also agree with the guys about cutting in the spring but if you have to cut now...5/8" to 3/4" is a good thickness starting point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 01:52:02 pm »
That's a good suggestion - it will also give you time to read up on things a bit.  In the meantime, you could try to find a straight-grained board to work on.  Your trees will need to season for a while anyway.

Oh, I've lost count of how many board bows I've built... That's why I think I'm ready to try staves now. Although I enjoy their clean lines, I'm tired of telling folks they're boards.... Doesn't quite have the pinache.....

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 01:52:43 pm »
I also agree with the guys about cutting in the spring but if you have to cut now...5/8" to 3/4" is a good thickness starting point.

Awesome. Will do.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:33:52 pm »
Plenty of people cut white wood in the fall and winter.  I think next time I do that I will try giving the staves a bath in my steam tube, but de-barking isn't really that big of a deal if you go slow.  3/4" should be a good starting point as mentioned (don't forget the handle if you want one though!).  Good luck!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 03:37:39 pm »
I don't think debarking wintercut wood in that bad personally.
I feel like it's a stronger back, because it's had the full growth
cycle. I don't have anything to back this claim, just a hunch.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:40:17 pm »
Hey goat, if you cut in the spring the back ring has had all winter to mature before the new rig starts to grow. I prefer spring time cuts for that reason.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC