Author Topic: First attemp at footing  (Read 4785 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: First attemp at footing
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 10:02:04 pm »
Those look sweet Chris. Those griz heads are reliable though they were always my go-to hunting heads until Bub started sending me some points from his knapping pit. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 11:04:25 pm »
Only one way to tell...go run one thru a whitetail rib cage.

Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 07:54:07 pm »
I know Bill. I just don't want to learn to knap. Plus, Im not sold on stone in my heart. I know millions of pounds of meat has been harvested with stone, and still does. But I have to be 110% confident in my equipment. As far as trade points go. I haven't found many that weigh up and stay sharp. Clint gave me some real nice trade points, but they are very light. I may get away with them with these heavy fore shafts though? Never thought of that.

Chris, 
I have to agree with you 100% on the confidence factor,  I'm still having trouble using knapped points hunting too.  I did a little test the other day, and shot different broadhead points in a Styrofoam target.  I was amazed at the results.  I shot 4 different types of knapped heads and two different trade points.  The knapped heads (different shapes) all didn't penetrate the other side of the target.  One of the trade point that I put notches in similar to a knapped head and tied on like a stone point, did go all of the way through and stuck out about about 2".  The other trade point that I made with a tang with no notches, went all the way through to the fletch.  I figured the notches grabbed some Styrofoam on the way through.
So I've been hunting with a trade point, even though I have some real nice knapped points people have made for me.  I just don't have the confidence yet and respect the animal too much.  Maybe after I get one with a trade point I'll move to a stone point.  I do the similar as Clint and add a fishing lead nail (for soft plastics) inside the point of my cane arrows.  one small weight weights 50 grains.
Just IMO....
DBar

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:00:16 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 11:37:00 pm »
I'ved done the tapered point insert on cane arrows and have had trouble with it if the shot is off target and you hit something hard, mostly, not always, the cane will split. I use my cane arrows for everything, 3D, target, stump shooting, small game and larger stuff. I took a self bow to Colorado with cane arrows for Elk, sorry had to use metal broadheads, never got a shot.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.