Author Topic: My first recurve . Full draw pics .  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Poggins

My first recurve . Full draw pics .
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:00:35 pm »
This is my first recurve that I've tried , been working on it for a while off and on , I'm building this one for my supervisor at work , he has been bringing me rattle snakes and giving them to me so I built this bow for him so maybe the snakes will keep comming .
I've been using a set of bathroom scales to check the weight and according to them it's 54# at 29" , when we measured his draw length it was 28" and he wanted it to pull around 50# .
Right at 60" TTT , I have some more finish work to do when the glue dries and I'll post some more pics , I had my brother shoot it for me and it shoots quietly and no hand shock , he doesn't shoot a bow but after he figured the anchor point out he was hitting where he was looking .

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:48:48 am by Poggins »

Offline missilemaster

Re: My first recurve .
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:03:35 pm »
Careful you dont lose it in the grass!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:19:45 pm »
I just hope that when he takes it on one of his hunting trips that he doesn't lay it on the ground and one of his hunting buddies use a shotgun on it .

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:27:02 pm »
Looks cool! We need brace and full draw!

Offline Poggins

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:56 pm »
Glue needs to dry and I want to get it sealed up before I put the string back on and get wax on it , I'll post pics as soon as I get it done .

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:21:20 pm »
 The hooks on the end look like a rattler holding the tip of his tail up, good job on that. I'll be checking back for full draw 8)
                                                                                                                                        Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:26:57 am »
Looks good,skins turned out great. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:30:08 am »
That looks great.  Love the skins, how many rattlers you got on there?  What kind of wood are you using?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 09:36:57 am »
Very cool recurve, Poggins. Gotta love those "coon tail" hooks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 11:25:20 am »
Thanks , it's osage , when I started it took some heat and clamps to get it staight .
String lays just off center of the handle but there is no twisting when it is drawn , I can flip the bow over and shoot it right handed , I tryed left handed but broke one arrow and chaced the other arrow down a few times before taking it to my brother to shoot.
He has brought me over a dozen rattlers so far , there are a couple pigmy rattlers also , he had showed me some pics of the rattlers they killed a couple years ago and I asked if he would throw them in an old ice chest with ice and bring them back for me, he freezes them when him and his hunting buddies get them , they also know a guy that is a snake wrangler and swapped some reloaded amo for some skins , some of them are well over 60" long .
Before I started building bows I'd see copper heads every where , now I don't see them as often , I have friends and family that call me or bring snakes to me when they get them , mostly black snakes and usually with a few large bulges in them ( nobody likes a chicken theif).

The staves I've been working with lately are the ones I offer for $20 and nobody buys them , this is one of those staves , I have a bunch of staves for billets and I plan on sinking some of them in my pond , I saw another set of billets that came out after 10-15 year soak and love the way they look , but they do smell like a cow pile when you work on them .

Offline John D

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 01:28:09 pm »
he doesn't shoot a bow but...
Looks like you changed that :)  Nice work and very cool skins!

John D.

Boise

Offline Klondike

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 01:47:56 pm »
Looking great…….. and even looks like the snake still has the rattles on

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 01:58:54 pm »
I can hear the rattles - looks good.
Wait for the F/D
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Poggins

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »
Ok here are some more pics , sorry about not having a full draw with someone holding it I didn't have anyone around .
The first is braced , the second is at 26" ( out of notches on my tillering board) and the third is after unbracing it .
I sat it out I. The sun to warm up and help the glue dry today , TBIII doesn't like to dry fast when it's cold .
I wanted to see what it looked like drawn with the skins on so I had to do it to satisfy my own curiosity .

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 10:05:30 pm »
That's a good lookin bow man.  I like how you wrapped the skins down and around