Author Topic: water buffalo horn  (Read 20894 times)

Offline Gaur

Re: water buffalo horn
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 08:21:25 am »
James must be hunting :).

I'd say square up the horn.  Only thing you can do is grind the ridges off.  How much width do you still have it you take the narrowest point there?  Should still be plenty from the looks of it to me. 

My understanding is that the tips go in the handle area butted together.  Don't cut them off too much as the handle will be thinner anyway.  Wait for more experienced guys on horn bow to sound off here before doing much else though.  Good luck
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Tc

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 01:47:02 pm »
This is the shape the stripe should look like at the end of the process:
The thicker end goes to the grip.
Your pair of horn is a real challange I am afraid.....
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:54:57 pm by Tc »

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2014, 08:35:44 pm »
Tc, is that one cut from each horn, where did you get your horn from, if you don't mind telling us. Can I get you to do mine those look great.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 09:51:55 pm »
After the snow in NC, James probably doesn't have internet. He lost it and power last year, also. I'll try to call him tonight.

Johnny, come on down and use my grinders. They'll eat that horn up. I'm getting ready to grind two 30"+ horns.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tc

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 02:51:14 am »
Duke, pm sent
Tc

Offline Gaur

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 07:22:39 am »
Nice pictures Tc. 

The reality is that every pair of horns is a bit different.  Some like Russ's there have some deeper grooves near the end.  If you can't get the length/width then you would have to cut them shorter and change your bow design to a shorter style horn bow for a given set of horns.  I work pretty hard with people to find the right pair for the design they want to make.  Long horns 26" plus are getting pretty hard to find but everyone seems to want them regardless of actually needing them.  Unless you are making a Chinese style bow.  Turkish horn bows only need 18"

But Russ if they don't work out for you I'll get more in Jan. 
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Tc

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 09:45:46 am »
Randy is right. Once you have the horn you can choose the hornbow style you can make out of it. Generally a 50-55 cm stripe should be good for any type of horn bow (even for a manchu bow). But the stripe must be perfect, otherwise you are just suffering with it....
One more thing:
Although the turkish is one of the shortest type of bow it needs longer horn than e.g. magyar (the siyah is covered - normally- by the horn)

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2014, 02:35:57 pm »
I think you have cut your strips too thin. I normally get the outer surface ground to shape, flat and smooth before I cut them if i'm working a full horn.
From here you need to get the strips cut/sanded dead straight. Then you can assess your width/thicknesses. Sides square not trapped.