Author Topic: Yew Bow  (Read 4656 times)

Offline feral

Yew Bow
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:14:20 am »
Hey all
I have been given 2 big chunk s of Yew.
they aren't long enough for bows so I need to splice two bits together.
Are there any special requirements for splicing and for Yew bows?
cheers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yew Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 09:07:49 am »
From what I an see from the pics those yew boards don't look ideal for bow building. If you can get a couple of clear 1 1/2" strip you can join them with a "W" or "Z" splice. You'll probably want to back it also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:52:33 am »
I'd use those for a nice shelf...

They don't look like bow wood to me.  That being said, you could use them in a few laminations perhaps. 

Offline feral

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:16 pm »
Yeh, i had that feeling too. Still i think i might get something out of them. They belonged to a retired violin maker and a mate found them in h's shed.  What is best to bake them with?

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »
This is purely a personal opinion because I've never made one and really want to, but I'd try a yew belly, yew core and elm or maple back.  The ones I've seen with this combo make exceptional heavy longbows , if you're into that?

Offline feral

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:47:31 pm »
Oh well,
I cut a couple of strips off bath pieces and the rings look like a contour map of the Blue Mountains.
Knots, swirls, everywhere.
Beautiful timber but no good for bows.
Thanks any way :-\

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 06:11:24 pm »
You can get away with quite a few knots and swirls in yew, as long as you back the wood. Take a look at this topic.
Could you post a few clear pics of the prepped strips? try a bigger size, for instance by uploading the full size image to www.tinypic.com
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline feral

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 08:28:53 pm »
Wow,
That bow dooks a lot like my wood.
Now I'm excited again.
thanks heaps.
I will post some better pics later
 ;D

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:04:19 pm »
I see bows in there.

I would do this.  Find a 2" wide strip between the knots. Save the other pieces for riser wood.  Then draw a line along the grain so that your next cut maximizes the length of the grain.  Saw a diagonal line down the board 3/8" from each end in rough parallel to the grain line you marked.

You will have two pyramidal limbs.  The fat end will be crooked.  Flip them however you need to get the best side to the belly and back all things considered.  If there are little cracks that I know will saw out they can be on the belly otherwise I put that stuff along the back.

Use a string or a long straight line to align the tips and the center closely then mark and trim the but ends to make them straight.

"V" or "z" splices can be laid out to your preference and glued up.  Check alignment of the three points above when clamping.

When dry sand the back and joint and fill any small cracks.

From here I make a reflex deflex with a bamboo backing.  Need instructions for that part? >:D

So, those Osage boards that three rivers sells As splice-able billets.  I get two bows out of the pair.

Offline feral

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 12:30:26 am »
This is an example of the grain

Offline feral

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 12:32:32 am »
I see bows in there.

I would do this.  Find a 2" wide strip between the knots. Save the other pieces for riser wood.  Then draw a line along the grain so that your next cut maximizes the length of the grain.  Saw a diagonal line down the board 3/8" from each end in rough parallel to the grain line you marked.

You will have two pyramidal limbs.  The fat end will be crooked.  Flip them however you need to get the best side to the belly and back all things considered.  If there are little cracks that I know will saw out they can be on the belly otherwise I put that stuff along the back.

Use a string or a long straight line to align the tips and the center closely then mark and trim the but ends to make them straight.

"V" or "z" splices can be laid out to your preference and glued up.  Check alignment of the three points above when clamping.

When dry sand the back and joint and fill any small cracks.

From here I make a reflex deflex with a bamboo backing.  Need instructions for that part? >:D

So, those Osage boards that three rivers sells As splice-able billets.  I get two bows out of the pair.
Thanks'
I wouldnt mind some instructions on the bamboo.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 01:24:08 am »
Wow the end of that board is loaded with swirly knots haha
I like osage

Offline feral

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 03:04:52 am »
Thats the problem.  :P It belonged to a violin maker and the timber is beautiful. Almost burlwood. Hopefully I can get something out of it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 09:45:55 am »
You MAY be able to squeeze a bow out of them but it's going to be a struggle and they must be backed. Those are bad bow making boards but great wood for other things.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 09:46:59 am »
It would make for a stunning handle lamination.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.